Thread: iPad Mount

Default iPad Mount

How would you suggest I mount an iPad (permanent is fine) on the back seat so the rear passenger has access to ForeFlight? ForeFlight will be bluetoothed to a G3X

Seat is an Oregon Areo.

Wiring power should not be a problem

Default Re: iPad Mount

Trade up to an XCub.

Comes with an Ipad/universal tablet mount on the rear seat.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    Trade up to an XCub.

Looking at Rick Bosshardt’s plane, might need to put that mount on his seat.

That can’t be a $100,000 seat can it?

Quote Originally Posted by Utah-Jay View Post
    Looking at Rick Bosshardt’s plane, might need to put that mount on his seat.

That can’t be a $100,000 seat can it?
    There are plain dollars and there are plane dollars
    Last edited by 40m; 08-03-2020 at 01:12 PM.

Utah-Jay, did you ever get a useful response to your initial inquiry?

Like you, I’m investigating the possibility of mounting an iPad on the back of the front seat to run ForeFlight so the GIB has some course and airspeed/altitude/etc information. I know CubCrafters has a universal mount for the XCub but their proposal to do it in my CC11-160 was a bit pricey.

Have any of you done something similar, and if so, would you share with me how you did it?

I’m wondering how big the iPad could be. I’d prefer something bigger than the iPad Mini simply to see it better. I don't have the aircraft at the moment so I can’t go measure it myself. I’m wondering how big the iPad width could be (side-to-side) to fit on the seatback, and height (top-to-bottom) to not interfere with back seat stick movement.

Another possibility might be to mount one overhead, as I previously did with a Garmin Aera in my Reed J3.

Thanks for your help!

John

Quote Originally Posted by jartz View Post
    I’d prefer something bigger than the iPad Mini simply to see it better.
    The ability to see a display does not depend on the size of the display, it depends on the subtended angle. A small display up close is as easy to see as a larger display that is further away as long as the subtended angle is the same. It is far easier to find a mounting place for a small display.

I run the Avare application on my Android smart phone and on a Samsung Android tablet, both have built in GPS. It's a completely stand-alone navigator and is available for use any time the G3X system goes TU. Avare is free (donation appreciated) and has no subscription for chart updates which include geo-referenced approach plates and airport diagrams.

Quote Originally Posted by jartz View Post
    Utah-Jay, did you ever get a useful response to your initial inquiry?

Like you, I’m investigating the possibility of mounting an iPad on the back of the front seat to run ForeFlight so the GIB has some course and airspeed/altitude/etc information. I know CubCrafters has a universal mount for the XCub but their proposal to do it in my CC11-160 was a bit pricey.

Have any of you done something similar, and if so, would you share with me how you did it?

I’m wondering how big the iPad could be. I’d prefer something bigger than the iPad Mini simply to see it better. I don't have the aircraft at the moment so I can’t go measure it myself. I’m wondering how big the iPad width could be (side-to-side) to fit on the seatback, and height (top-to-bottom) to not interfere with back seat stick movement.

Another possibility might be to mount one overhead, as I previously did with a Garmin Aera in my Reed J3.

Thanks for your help!

John
    John, I did not and we went in another direction, currently flying a Rans S-21 so the tandem issue became a non-issue

Talking Re: iPad Mount

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    Trade up to an XCub.

But still no Air-conditioner, no rear OLED screen and 50 mph slower than my S-Plaint Tesla for Half a Million dollar machine
    XCub: CCX-2300-0011
    SPOT X TRACKING: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/09SL

Check with Jackie at flyingpockets.com. She was working on a back seat iPad mount and she also makes some great storage pockets.
    Last edited by mikemacon; 05-26-2021 at 06:43 PM.