Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: CC340 Engine Oil Consumption Issues

Default Re: CC340 Engine Oil Consumption Issues

AeroSport received my cylinders and emailed me their findings. The #4 cylinder (same one with the broken ring) has an exhaust valve and guide that are worn beyond limits. This is the cylinder that was forcing oil out of the breather and turning the oil dark so quickly. After the last oil change it was black in two hours.

They're going to rework the other valves and seats and hone the walls. And after talking to them on the phone I've decided to replace the pistons and pins and new rings all around. My pistons were within limits but did show and measure some wear. And while they have the cylinders I asked for a port and polish.

AeroSport has been excellent to deal with and they're telling me the cylinders, with pistons loaded, will be on their way back to me by the end of the week!
    Last edited by Dan L; 09-01-2020 at 04:02 AM.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

99A26E5D-D602-4686-B3C8-58903B1A7DCE.jpg

I received my cylinders from AeroSport along with new pistons and a friend and I reinstalled them. Intakes and exhaust to reinstall and some probes and I’ll be back in the air.

Using the engine hoist with two slings and the pistons loaded in the cylinders was a new method for me but I was impressed with how well this worked. And no danger of dropping anything important. Slipping pistons into a cylinder is way easier on the bench than while holding onto a cylinder and piston at the same time. New piston pins slide so nicely into the piston and rod too.

And again AeroSport has been very good to work with. Shipping by UPS across the border has been simple too.

Good to hear! Let us know how the plane performs.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    99A26E5D-D602-4686-B3C8-58903B1A7DCE.jpg

I received my cylinders from AeroSport along with new pistons and a friend and I reinstalled them. Intakes and exhaust to reinstall and some probes and I’ll be back in the air.

Using the engine hoist with two slings and the pistons loaded in the cylinders was a new method for me but I was impressed with how well this worked. And no danger of dropping anything important. Slipping pistons into a cylinder is way easier on the bench than while holding onto a cylinder and piston at the same time. New piston pins slide so nicely into the piston and rod too.

And again AeroSport has been very good to work with. Shipping by UPS across the border has been simple too.

Good news Dan! Have you given new thought to the oil you will now be using?
    Different topic sorry for the drift. Have you ever experienced increased CO levels inside with your pod attached?

Thanks, VT Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    [/I]
    Good news Dan! Have you given new thought to the oil you will now be using?
    Different topic sorry for the drift. Have you ever experienced increased CO levels inside with your pod attached?

Thanks, VT Glenn
    I don’t think the oil I used was an issue. There was no unusual wear anywhere and the cam and followers looked fine. I’ll probably continue with the Phillips 20-50 XC and Camguard. Lubrication issues didn’t break a ring. Bad luck and a bad part. Exhaust valve problems are common. Filled with mineral oil now for a new break-in.

Yes, I sure did see a change in airflow with the pod installed and the carbon monoxide levels went into the 50s from under 10 levels pre-pod. I have a Vetterman exhaust system and I got some extensions from Clint that took care of the problem. No change in airspeed with the pod. They say it cleans up the air behind the cabane and some even say they see an increase in cruise speed.

The engine is back on the cub and after three hours of hard running I could not be happier with the results.

The first startup was amazing for me, at 800 rpms I could not feel any engine vibration, it felt as if the engine was off and flying at 2400-2600rpm its incredibly smooth also. This is a far cry from first startup and flight on it originally. Even the CubCrafter guy that did first flight said the same thing and thought it might be just a prop balance issue which was not the case. I’ve been chasing significant vibrations from day one and it’s no fun flying when you feel there is something wrong but you just can’t figure out what it is.

I also had a number of trusted mechanics take a looked at the bad pistons rings, bearings, oil pump gears, lifters and camshaft along with a bunch other stuff and they had no good reason for these issues on a 500 hrs engine except for bad parts from the beginning. I even had to replace the oil cooler because it couldn’t be cleaned, believe me you don’t want to replace too many of those at $850 a pop. Another interesting note was that after 3 hours of hard flying the oil was as clean as it was when in put it in, previously on every oil change the oil was black after an hour of flying which means it was blowing thru the rings or somewhere from day one.

I can’t say enough about how happy I am with Aero Sport and their service. I feel much better that the replacement parts are now Lycoming and confident I now have a reliable engine, flying will be fun again.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Steve, glad to hear you’re back in the air. A smooth running engine is so much easier on everything including the pilot.

I've got about 25 hours on my engine now and it’s running great too. And I agree, the guys at AeroSport have been excellent to work with. I’ll go back to them when needed.
    Last edited by Dan L; 11-20-2020 at 05:49 PM.