Not sure what your question is.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Default Re: CC340 Engine Oil Consumption Issues

Quote Originally Posted by stede52 View Post
    40m,
    Not sure what your question is.
    Steve, I was just wondering 100P wouldn't be simpler?

Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    Steve, I was just wondering 100P wouldn't be simpler?
    40m
    I have used W100Plus in the past, for a while, then started using the Camguard with the W100 based on CubCrafters recommendation. I may just go back to the Plus again, thx.

It would be interesting to know if others have had a Camshaft issue and at what hours or am I the only case which tells me I may have gotten bad parts.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

"It would be interesting to know if others have had a Camshaft issue and at what hours or am I the only case which tells me I may have gotten bad parts.[/QUOTE]

Steve,
    I would want a metallurgist to look at those parts, not necessarily to make a claim but to find out what might be the cause. Also try Super Cub Forum, you will get a few educated opinions mixed in with a few not so educated opinions but all might be helpful.

VT Glenn 40m

"It would be interesting to know if others have had a Camshaft issue and at what hours or am I the only case which tells me I may have gotten bad parts.
    Steve,
    I would want a metallurgist to look at those parts, not necessarily to make a claim but to find out what might be the cause. Also try Super Cub Forum, you will get a few educated opinions mixed in with a few not so educated opinions but all might be helpful.
    Last edited by lbell; 08-24-2020 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stede52 View Post
    40m
    I have used W100Plus in the past, for a while, then started using the Camguard with the W100 based on CubCrafters recommendation. I may just go back to the Plus again, thx.

It would be interesting to know if others have had a Camshaft issue and at what hours or am I the only case which tells me I may have gotten bad parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by lbell View Post
    Steve,

VT Glenn 40m
    The follower has to rotate. If it doesn't that kind of failure occurs. May have been going on since first startup. Was there ever any chips in the filter? Is there a magnet in the sump?[/QUOTE]

Does the valve show similar wear?

Steve,

VT Glenn 40m
    The follower has to rotate. If it doesn't that kind of failure occurs. May have been going on since first startup. Was there ever any chips in the filter? Is there a magnet in the sump?[/QUOTE]
    Attached Images Attached Images

The follower has to rotate. If it doesn't that kind of failure occurs. May have been going on since first startup. Was there ever any chips in the filter? Is there a magnet in the sump?
    Does the valve show similar wear?[/QUOTE]

Only the two followers had the pitting and showed no sign of circular motion wear. The others showed the circular wear pattern and were smooth. I needed to replace 3 exhaust and 3 intake valves of some pitting. The valves I put in #3 last year didn't need replacing. All the guides were ok. All Aero Sport could tell me about the tops of the valves and cam was that it looked like corrosion, however, flying 150+ hrs/yr it can't be drying out and corroding. By the way do the CC340 have camshaft oilers? I was told that Lycoming installed those an number of years ago due to this kind of camshaft issues. I would hope ECI Titan install those in their cases. Does anyone know?

I've never had chunks or chips that were magnetic in the filter, however, I have had small increased and decreased amounts of metal in my oil based on the analysis, which increased during original break-in and after replacing rings last year. According to the analysis it never show severe enough to warrant pulling the jugs but maybe they were wrong. Only the #3 and #4 exhaust cam followers were severely pitted. I also thought that maybe they didn't get lubricated properly with the special cam pre-lube before 1st startup, I know a dry cam and followers with destroy themselves within minutes with out it.

I was hoping someone from CubCrafters might have some opinions based on their history and experience with the Titan.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Steve,
    I wasn't sure if there was a way to do that but I'll look into it and the Super Cub Forum.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Excellent idea to post on SuperCub.org, great resource as mentioned. There is a section for Cub Crafters. It might be worth a try as the titan is a popular engine for cubs.

https://www.supercub.org/forum/
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL