Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CC340 Engine Oil Consumption Issues

Default Re: CC340 Engine Oil Consumption Issues

Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    Steve,
    Glad for you and the parts. I am curious about your general flying conditions, rpm ranges, leaning habits and others which I can compare to.
    Starting off we at least know our oil temps are correct thanks to your help.

Thanks, VT Glenn
    General flying on any given day the NW:
    Cattos climb prop 84 x 42.5
    2100-2300rpm
    CHTs: 350-370
    EGTs: 1250-1350
    OIL: 180-195, prior to my oil door setup, winter oil temps were 150-160 without tape on the cooler.
    LEANING: I wish this was more of an exact science. I always stay ROP according to my Dynon, 50-80 degrees rich of EGT peak based on the first EGT to peak, at that point the remaining cylinder will be very ROP. I use this process at anything over 4000’ during cruise, 2300-2400 rpm.

Normal flying around the area is usually between 1900-2100 rpm which I lean slightly and keep the fuel burn between 6-7gph and still keeping it on the ROP even though I was told that at those low rpm you can’t hurt the engine by leaning as long as its running smooth. Other pilots I’ve talked to simply lean until the engine starts running rough and then richens until smooth running, and has never had a problem.

As I stated earlier my Dynon has never shown any kind of heating issue but who knows what’s going on in those cylinders. Unfortunately, the pitting looks like heat, I just don’t know why/how its making it based on my instruments. I have tested my probes and they read correctly. As far as the rings wearing out, who knows, over heating? bad/wrong rings? Bad break-in? wish I knew for sure.

My first flight and 45 minutes of the break-in was done by CubCrafters and I did the remainder. How knows, maybe I did something wrong in the break-in, but I did get the CHTs to drop in classic form which I was told happens when the rings seat. I proceeded with the rest of the break-in period as defined in the CC procedure.

Since I get a ‘Do Over’ on my engine break-in, I will be paying more attention to temperatures and oil consumption during that break-in period.

I welcome any thoughts because I know there is plenty of experience out there.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Steve your flying sounds identical to mine with RPMs and power settings other than I do run LOP at times. And that is the prop I'm using now too, but I've had other Catto's at times.

I spent a few days in the backcountry this week with an A&P friend and we discussed my oil consumption. He thinks I'm getting ring blowby too based on the amount of oil coming out of the breather and that the oil color gets dark fairly quick after an oil change. My compressions are all in the high 70s.

I've made an inquiry with AeroSport. 925 hours and the engine was built in 2010.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Well fellows your practices are right out of my playbook as well. I asked Steve about his practices due to a conversation I had earlier this week with Aero-Sport when I asked them how they would like to see this engine run. It would seem that the only thing we are doing differently from their recommendation is not pushing this engine to it's max rpm (limited by CHT's) for 15-20 minutes each flight. Bring the rpm's up slowly not allowing CHT's to raise above 400F then stepping them down slowly would be ideal. Since break-in I'm guilty of pussy footin around low and slow. I've worked hard to get to a point in life where I'm not in any real hurry to get there fast.

VT Glenn

So is Aerosport saying we should run it hard each flight for 20 min? This time of year with temps and DA, back country take offs I do see CHT in the 420's (but not for long periods, maybe 5 min). By then though I can reduce power point the nose down a bit, gain some speed and the temps will start decreasing.

Keeping the CHT's below 400 this time of year is difficult if pushing the engine.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    So is Aerosport saying we should run it hard each flight for 20 min? This time of year with temps and DA, back country take offs I do see CHT in the 420's (but not for long periods, maybe 5 min). By then though I can reduce power point the nose down a bit, gain some speed and the temps will start decreasing.

Keeping the CHT's below 400 this time of year is difficult if pushing the engine.
    It is difficult, in my mind CHT's rule.
    Last edited by 40m; 08-06-2020 at 04:10 PM.

My oil consumption had become a quart in 4 hours. I changed oil and made a two hour flight and the oil was very dark. I called Aerosport and he suggested borescoping the cylinders. An A&P friend told me he was thinking strongly I could have a broken ring. So, I pulled the cylinders and sure enough, the #4 piston had a broken ring.

I'm going to send all four cylinders to Aerosport for an overhaul and some new rings.

IMG_8295.jpg

There does not appear to be any collateral damage.

Looks like your ring broke at the same place as mine, close to the end

More bad news about my engine/LEMON. I had just received the jugs back from Aero Sport (they did a beautiful job) and decided to look around inside the case not thinking there would ever be a problem with the cam after only 600hrs, well I was wrong!! #3 & 4 exhaust cam follower were toast. I never looked at them earlier because I never thought I could have a problem after using cam-guard in every oil change and flying 150+ hours a year. Based on the amount of damage, it's been bad for some time and one year past my warranty I'm curious why Cubcrafters didn't see it when they took off the #3 jug last year unless this all happened in the last 12 month.

Does anyone have an idea why this might have happened, other then incorrect heat treating or not using matched follower for the camshaft? Is it something that I could have done? I'm at a loss and extremely disappointed with this engine.

I'm returning the lower unit and jugs to Aero Sport for a complete inspection, lower overhaul, assembly and test

Dan make sure you look at your camshaft and followers!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

After we talked yesterday Steve, I had a very good look at my cam and followers and can’t see any sign of corrosion on the cam or the followers. I also put my oily fingers inside where I could and felt the follower faces. All good with my engine in this regard.

I’ve been using a half pint of Camguard with each 25 hour oil change of XC 20-50.

I wonder what caused your corrosion issues? You had a couple of funky valves with pitting.

That's great to hear Dan.

I also use a 1/2 bottle of camguard in every 30-35 hour oil change and I use Aeroshell W100 which Aero Sport recommends, go figure

Aero Sport told me about another additive call AeroShell Fluid 2XN to use rather then Camguard. I guess I'll give that a try, at this point I'll try about anything.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Quote Originally Posted by stede52 View Post
    That's great to hear Dan.

I also use a 1/2 bottle of camguard in every 30-35 hour oil change and I use Aeroshell W100 which Aero Sport recommends, go figure

Aero Sport told me about another additive call AeroShell Fluid 2XN to use rather then Camguard. I guess I'll give that a try, at this point I'll try about anything.
    Aeroshell 100P ??