Thread: Humble words from Corey Robin

Default Humble words from Corey Robin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJrVUZKcxrU

I am sure this was a very difficult video to make. It is nice to see these guys do there best to educate others from their mistakes. Glad he is okay.

Default Re: Humble words from Corey Robin

Glad he is ok also.

The video is a great example of why you should have your prop clocked horizontally when the engine stops.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

In a somewhat related video, Steve Pierce on the outcomes that often don't get posted on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/bwcUfuTgXEE

Paul K.

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    Glad he is ok also.

The video is a great example of why you should have your prop clocked horizontally when the engine stops.
    I thought the same thing. What do you do in this situation if you have a prop strike, plane is fine, but you need to inspect the engine before you run it again?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I agree that this was probably a very difficult video to make; but there is certainly a lesson here for all of us. Be safe out there! And thank you Cory for posting this. Checklist! Checklist! Checklist!

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

I'm very glad he is okay and his plane is okay! What is everyone's thoughts on the best helmets out there?

I want to thank Corey for the video. That was well done and edited nicely. And not an easy thing to admit to. And other than a new spinner he got out of that without harm and hopefully transferred his hard learned lesson to some of us.

It reminded me of a couple of close ones I’ve had. The first one should have been caught on a checklist but wasn’t. I had landed my previous PA18 off airport on a bare ridge that was fairly steep. I parked crossways the the ridge with one wing quite a bit higher than the other and put my fuel selector on off so it would not cross feed to the low tank. Later on takeoff I overlooked the fuel selector problem. I was pointed to the side of the ridge and planned to takeoff down the side into a mild breeze and be gone. The engine started and I pushed the throttle full forward. Of course the engine died moments later but it was almost too late as I was then rolling downhill towards some trees with a dead engine. I got it stopped and taxied back up after giving it a supply of fuel..... Dumb on my part but no harm.

Another time I was landing on some river gravel bars early in the morning and the next bar was still in the shade of the canyon. The river here has nice clean water and I was looking at the river bottom thinking it was exposed gravel because of the lighting. I touched down about 50’ short of the exposed gravel and the 31s penetrated the surface and the tail started coming up. Without even thinking, it was full power and full back stick. Fortunately the water was only 12” or so deep and the tail came down. Once I hit the dry gravel it was full closed throttle and I was stopped in about 25’. Unlike Corey, I had power and it overcame the rising tail. As my first instructor liked to say: “Power is your friend.”

3EE23F45-86D5-4389-97B1-092B5998955A.jpg

This isn’t the time it happened but the location is near here. Same river.

Thanks again Corey and keep it up. You’re using your CC the way it was meant to be flown.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

01BFC903-4BB9-4ACA-8756-89767F17B2FC.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I'm very glad he is okay and his plane is okay! What is everyone's thoughts on the best helmets out there?
    I wear a helmet all of the time in my CC. I don’t even remember the brand but it works fine with my Lightspeed Zulus. I started wearing it after a trip to Alaska in 2015 and my friend there talked me into it after telling me about an incident he had and that the helmet kept him from serious harm.

I don’t wear it in other planes like our Cessna. But In the CC there is a lot of exposed structure and the flap handle so it makes sense to me to wear it in the Cub.

I edited the post to include the picture and it ended up at the top. The point of the picture is to show the short jack plugs going from the wing root to the headset plugs. If you need to exit the plane quickly the headset isn’t going to pull off your head as you leave because the helmet has it trapped. These short bailout jacks allow the helmet to stay on and the headset to pull free at any angle.
    Last edited by Dan L; 07-31-2020 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Add picture
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

I think he did great with what he had to work with. I would suggest anyone adding fuel pod or ferry tank talk to CC there a wealth of knowledge there and this wouldn’t of happened.
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News