Thread: Leaking fuel valve

Default Leaking fuel valve

I'm in the process of reassemmbling my EX2 after shipping it home. The fuel valve was undisturbed and fine before. Fuel was completely drained 2 months ago, so it has been dry since then.
    Now when I put a couple of gallons in to check for leaks I get fuel pouring out around the valve lever spindle.

Any suggestions for cause and rectification before I remove and strip down the valve?

Default Re: Leaking fuel valve

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Albery View Post
    I'm in the process of reassemmbling my EX2 after shipping it home. The fuel valve was undisturbed and fine before. Fuel was completely drained 2 months ago, so it has been dry since then.
    Now when I put a couple of gallons in to check for leaks I get fuel pouring out around the valve lever spindle.

Any suggestions for cause and rectification before I remove and strip down the valve?

I had the same problem with my EX-2 last year. Once the O-rings in the selector valve dry out, they don't seat well again when new fuel is added. My fix was to replace the O-rings. Easy enough but be careful not to loose the 2 tiny ball bearings and springs when you remove the selector barrel.

Bill

Hi Mark,

Yes, I had they same thing happen to a fuel selector. Just started leaking months later.....very slowly and saw a blue stain below the fuel selector on the fabric.

CC shipped me new orings for them and very easy to replace and that was the problem. They also have a diagram showing the little balls and springs etc. I thought i could find it but can’t so have them give it to you as well.

Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Yes, if the fuel is drained long enough to let the selector o-rings dry out put new ones in. Easy to do.

Some guys use a little piece of PVC with the inside machined to the same size as the ID of the valve body and you can assemble the whole thing on the bench and push it out of the pvc back into the valve body.

A light touch of DC4 on the o-rings will help it slide back in easy.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Thanks guys. I've got it disassembled and new o-rings ordered (plus a spare set).
    Following Dave's tip, I found that a 12v car plug receptacle is almost a perfect fit to pre-assemble the indent springs and balls.20200720_165252.jpg

That fix worked perfectly, so thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I'm pleased to say that N97CC is now the second Carbon Cub to fly in the UK 3 months after I had her shipped back from my previous base in California.
    Great to be flying again!

Thats great! thanks for the update.

That fix worked perfectly, so thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I'm pleased to say that N97CC is now the second Carbon Cub to fly in the UK 3 months after I had her shipped back from my previous base in California.
    Great to be flying again!

Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..