Thread: EX3/FX3 Weight and Balance Sample

Default EX3/FX3 Weight and Balance Sample

Hello,

Considering putting my money down and getting in line for an FX3. Before I do, I would like to see a sample of a "typical" EX3/FX3 weight and balance. I weigh 225 lb and so does my wife. I would simply like to know if this is a feasible aircraft for 2 person transport with 3-4 hours of endurance (yes I realize it is funny to watch fat people try to ingress/egress from a cub).

I don't need anything fancy, just the weight locations (stations) and a description of the forward and aft limits, along with empty weight and CG for a typical sample. I was planning to get a lot of avionics (G3X, GTX345R, backup instrument for potential IFR certs), float kit, baby bushwheel, odyssey battery, reiff preheater, so I'd imagine mine would weigh 1100 lbs+ empty.

I'm currently in a C182B and while an 850 lb useful load sounds fine in theory, the aircraft has real problems staying aft of the forward of the CG limit, making it difficult to load without a lot of aft ballast (in turn limiting the amount of fuel that can be carried). It is certainly a 2 person craft for us for anything more than a 30 minute flight.

If this is available on the website someplace and I missed it, my apologies in advance. Thanks!
    Last edited by Narwhal747; 06-22-2020 at 12:38 AM.

Default Re: EX3/FX3 Weight and Balance Sample

Narwhal,

My FX-3 weighs 1166 lbs empty. With two people each weighing 220, full fuel (39 usable gallons), and 160 lbs of baggage, I am right at 2,000 lbs. I am not at the airplane right now, so I do not have any specific CG information for you, but in all of the W/B examples that I did, I was never outside the envelope. Perhaps someone else can chime in with their info.

There is a noticeable difference when flying that heavy, but I am also at 5,800 feet. At lower altitudes, the airplane does really well. Obviously, the fuel burn is a bit higher at that weight, but it is pretty easy to fly over four hours and still land with 45-60 minutes of reserve.

I hope that helps.

Thank you Bruce, someone from CubCrafters did get in touch with me. The data looks very very good and, as you stated, alleviated any concerns I had about CG in the EX/FX.

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhal747 View Post
    Thank you Bruce, someone from CubCrafters did get in touch with me. The data looks very very good and, as you stated, alleviated any concerns I had about CG in the EX/FX.
    Here are a couple of screenshots of the weight and balance, with both of you and full baggage, and you by yourself.

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 7.34.25 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-30 at 7.33.52 PM.png

Thank you again Bruce! Looks great!