Thread: Volt issue

Default Volt issue

Has anyone ran into this problem? 2009 Ex
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Volt issue

Hi Shawn, Your question poses a binary 'yes' or 'no' answer, but I think you are looking for more information.

If you could provide more information, such as; is it intermittent, only happens when things are hot, only when I turn on the com, etc.,.... would be beneficial for the forum brain trust to possibly diagnosis your particular issue.

Also include how your plane is basically wired being a homebuilt; use a shunt? Dynon, Garmin system,....

Cheers
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Thank you for the response. I have owned it for acouple months. This warning just came on midflight last week and hasnt gone off. Pulled the alternator and had it checked and it was perfect, along with the battery. Everything seems to be working, just have this error code. I spoke to Dynon and he mentioned something about switching the Shunts, whatever that is ?

Dynon uses a shunt which is a type of voltage regulator for overvoltage protection, the real voltage regulator is most likely in the alternator since you have an EX. There are two small wires (in addition to the larger main current carry wires) that measure the volts/amp across the shunt. I have read that if either of these two wires, which are fused to 1 amp, should malfunction, it can lead to a negative voltage reading. Sometimes a shunt can go bad (cracked) also.

Go onto the Dynon Online Store and search for shunt so you can see what one looks like.
    Last edited by aeroaddict; 06-13-2020 at 02:39 PM.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL