Thread: Video Filming?

Default Video Filming?

Hello, i am looking to get a Gopro or Garmin to attach to my plane for filming. I have an older Gopro but struggle operating it with my phone from the cockpit. I need to be able to turn the camera on and off with my phone. Will the newer cameras do this? My older go pro only pushes play or pause, does not turn the camera on or off. Any advise would be great

Super Moderator

Default Re: Video Filming?

Quote Originally Posted by jettshawn View Post
    Hello, i am looking to get a Gopro or Garmin to attach to my plane for filming. I have an older Gopro but struggle operating it with my phone from the cockpit. I need to be able to turn the camera on and off with my phone. Will the newer cameras do this? My older go pro only pushes play or pause, does not turn the camera on or off. Any advise would be great
    Yes, the newer GoPro cameras from the Hero 5 up can be controlled from a smartphone, but I really recommend the Hero 8 because the image stabilization native to the camera is truly fantastic. It always shoots great video.

Plus GoPro is having a $100 off sale right now on the Hero 8.

https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/cameras....ds#hero8black
    Brad Damm - Vice President of Sales and Marketing
    CubCrafters - Yakima, Washington
    Office: (509) 248-9491
    Cell: (509) 961-2313

Quote Originally Posted by jettshawn View Post

I don't recommend fiddling with cameras in flight.. Just me.. But I usually let them just run, memory cards and battery extenders are cheaper than something or someone getting bent.

As for the camera, I have them all... The most reliable one comes from DJI. It's the OSMO ACTION. Very similar features to a GoPro, but far more reliable..

https://click.dji.com/AHdyKihg-FRdt_GF82L_FQ?pm=link

Brad is right, the Go pro 8 is a great camera as well, they shoot very similar stuff. But the wifi control isn't great, and they lock up/freeze and have issues at a higher rate than the DJI in my experience.

All my youtube stuff is shot on the DJI... I sometimes will use a gopro to be honest, but I don't like fiddling with things that don't work well...

When I am flying I am using GoPro 8 in most cases. I have no major problems with it and I am happy with the results. I am working on finishing a video of my flight around the shore as I have a property in Cyprus and I will post it here soon so you can see the quality of the GoPro 8 video.
    Last edited by Habllo; 06-24-2020 at 02:23 AM.
    Hello, I am new here

As far as I know with the GoPro application, you can remotely control the camera, start and stop recording, and upload content!

By the way, has anyone tried GoPro MAX yet? It's very interesting what kind of picture this camera produces with the widest angle of view in the history of the GoPro.

What type of wiring and/or connections are required to hardwire a Go Pro camera on the wing struts?