Thread: Run up procedure

Default Run up procedure

Hello all,
    I just purchased a 2009 Carbon cub EX with the Titan 0-340 190hp. Can anyone tel me if they go full rich on take of for this engine or lean adjust and set in run up? Also states they like 425 degrees on CHT ? Any advise would be great. Thanks

Default Re: Run up procedure

I most often go full rich on take off, it helps keep everything cool. Even taking off at say 5000 asl and up, I don't worry to much for leaning for best power as there is so much extra power. I lean to keep egt's below 1300 or keep it rich if that is needed to keep things cool on a hot day. You should always keep the cylinders below 400 if you can.

Thank you Troy

Quote Originally Posted by jettshawn View Post
    Hello all,
    I just purchased a 2009 Carbon cub EX with the Titan 0-340 190hp. Can anyone tel me if they go full rich on take of for this engine or lean adjust and set in run up? Also states they like 425 degrees on CHT ? Any advise would be great. Thanks
    I have not had the same plane as you but I've read a lot of material about leaning and the resource I related to was Mike Busch. One article is here but there are many more.

I run full rich on takeoff, in the circuit or when doing anything like stalls, forced landings in case I forget to richen the mixture before applying power. In the cruise I lean for best economy (it makes a lot of difference in the FX-3) and try to keep CHT at or below 350 and pretty much ignore EGT.

I've no idea if this will extend or reduce the engine life but live in hope
    Bob Gray, FX-3 #38, ZK-FXC

Quote Originally Posted by kiwibob View Post
    I have not had the same plane as you but I've read a lot of material about leaning and the resource I related to was Mike Busch. One article is here but there are many more.

I run full rich on takeoff, in the circuit or when doing anything like stalls, forced landings in case I forget to richen the mixture before applying power. In the cruise I lean for best economy (it makes a lot of difference in the FX-3) and try to keep CHT at or below 350 and pretty much ignore EGT.

I've no idea if this will extend or reduce the engine life but live in hope
    I learned to fly in the 70’s. My instructor rented wet and he alway reminded me that fuel is cheaper than pistons and valves. He alway ran his engines to TBO.

Your 0-340 is a horse of a little different color, Troy's post is a good one to start with. Super Cub Forum has several good threads relating to your engine. FWIW, 5 quarts of oil (advised by Aero Sport tech) CHT's below 400 (not difficult on an engine that's broken in), oil temp 180-200F (will need to tape oil cooler to some extent), pre-heat below 40F. This engine likes to be leaned but with run far leaner than may be advisable with it's electronic ignition, watching temps and no so much fuel flow might be better in the long run, Oil and filter changes 30 hours (my personal choice). Flying regularly is far better for engine longevity than not.
    And most importantly remember what opinions are like, mine included!
    Good luck,
    VT Glenn 40M

I push the mixture in full for takeoff unless the DA is over 5000’. But I’m leaning within a few minutes. It just runs better leaned and seems to produce less carb ice too.

At 2450 rpm I see about 6 gpm burn rate. That’s with an 84x42.5 Catto.

Over 900 hours on my O-340 now with no issues related to leaning.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011