Thread: Wing Build EX-3 Page 53

Default Wing Build EX-3 Page 53

Hello folks,

Just started my EX-3 a few days ago and could use some clarification before I start drilling into the spar. This concerns the Wing manual EX-3 page 53, Detail C. Part #PC31508-001

The instructions on the drawing say "Match drill 0.188 thru all at assembly" and there are 2 arrows pointing at 2 specific holes. Do I match drill all 4 holes in the part, or just the 2 holes that the arrows point to? The instructions seem to indicate all 4 holes, but the drawing specifies 2 holes.

Also, is there a "trick" to search for multiple words using this forums search function. When I tried searching "page 53" all I could get was every time "page" had been used.

Thanks,
    Lee Jordan

Default Re: Wing Build EX-3 Page 53

Hi Lee,

You will have to match drill all those holes but they are just showing you that the holes are different sizes. The 2 that take the AN174 size bolts are the 1/4" reamer and the holes with the AN175 bolts are the 5/16" reamer. This you should have already done on the ends of the spars with the spar attach fittings right? Same thing here.

Use the 2 big cleco's that should have shipped with the kit and that big AN6-21A bolt (that doesn't need reaming) to hold the part together, then ream 1 hole, put in a bolt and then go to the next, etc. Just do one at a time. This is so you have perfect fitting of these very important and structural parts where the spars will attach to the airplane, so no slop here. Only run the reamer 1 time and in 1 direction (pull it through the part 1 time).

The forum search function isn't too good because it just seems to search for separate words and not phrases (as far as I know).

Are you following my thread on building the EX3? http://forum.cubcrafters.com/showthr...p-Hints/page17

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Grouser View Post
    Hello folks,

Just started my EX-3 a few days ago and could use some clarification before I start drilling into the spar. This concerns the Wing manual EX-3 page 53, Detail C. Part #PC31508-001

The instructions on the drawing say "Match drill 0.188 thru all at assembly" and there are 2 arrows pointing at 2 specific holes. Do I match drill all 4 holes in the part, or just the 2 holes that the arrows point to? The instructions seem to indicate all 4 holes, but the drawing specifies 2 holes.

Also, is there a "trick" to search for multiple words using this forums search function. When I tried searching "page 53" all I could get was every time "page" had been used.

Thanks,
    Lee Jordan

Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Dave, thanks for the reply. Your posts here, and vids and comments on FB are one of the reason I took the plunge. Thanks for taking the time to "show" your work, it is much appreciated.

I think we are talking about two different areas of the same part. The issue I have is the small block (that is part of PC31508-001) that has 4 small holes drilled in it. I believe the small holes will take drag wires(?) later.

I've already reamed the AN174 and AN175 holes, and have everything temporarily bolted together. I can't figure out how many of the small holes I drill to 0.188 (3/16th).

I'll try to upload a photo.

Thanks again,
    Lee
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ohhhh. Ok. Got it.

Yes, you will drill the holes through the spar fittings for the drag wires to go through. 2 small holes on the rear spar one and 1 large and 1 small on the front spar. You are just jumping ahead of the manual. It go over this later when the drag wires are installed i believe.

Remember, ignore the figures for everything except what the written manual is talking about in the section you are working on. There will be many figures showing lots of details not explained yet and that is because it isn’t time to do that yet.

I think I go over this as well in my thread on post #5 on the first page.

Glad to help....anytime!

Dave, thanks for the reply. Your posts here, and vids and comments on FB are one of the reason I took the plunge. Thanks for taking the time to "show" your work, it is much appreciated.

I think we are talking about two different areas of the same part. The issue I have is the small block (that is part of PC31508-001) that has 4 small holes drilled in it. I believe the small holes will take drag wires(?) later.

I've already reamed the AN174 and AN175 holes, and have everything temporarily bolted together. I can't figure out how many of the small holes I drill to 0.188 (3/16th).

I'll try to upload a photo.

Thanks again,
    Lee
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

"Remember, ignore the figures for everything except what the written manual is talking about in the section you are working on. There will be many figures showing lots of details not explained yet and that is because it isn’t time to do that yet."

That's good info, I wasn't aware of that.

Thanks Dave,
    Lee

You have to enter "page 53" including the quotes. This way it will search for the whole term and won't split it up into individual words.

All the best for your build!

Miklos
    Last edited by miklos; 04-29-2020 at 03:02 AM.

Thanks Miklos.

-Lee