Thread: Runup ignition check question

Default Runup ignition check question

Recently when I’m checking the right side during the run up, it initially won’t give me a left warning indication. As I proceed through the run up, switching back to the right from the left, the engine dips then catches again. If I do the entire check a second time, everything will work fine, I just seems to be doing it on the first start up. This is my first time owning anything with electronic ignition, I’m not smart enough on the system yet to know what is coincidental and what’s causal. Any help would be much appreciated.

Default Re: Runup ignition check question

Brett, That's common for the engine to "cut out" when switching between left and right if you go very slowly. It's just the switch between the contacts. Don't worry about that. Notice if you switch it rather quickly you won't notice that.

I always go... BOTH.....then LEFT (check the right warning on)......then back to BOTH.....then to RIGHT (check left warning on)...then flip up the EMERGENCY switch and see if the backup battery light comes on the panel (if G3X) and the amber LED light comes on by the switch......that switch OFF and then back to BOTH.

As far as why that light would not work the first and it does the next I really don't know.

I imagine you are referring to the red led lights on the panel? If you have G3X.........what is it saying? It should be telling you also if an ignition is not working and when the backup battery is working on the RIGHT ignition when you have the EMERGENCY switch ON.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Recently when I’m checking the right side during the run up, it initially won’t give me a left warning indication. As I proceed through the run up, switching back to the right from the left, the engine dips then catches again. If I do the entire check a second time, everything will work fine, I just seems to be doing it on the first start up. This is my first time owning anything with electronic ignition, I’m not smart enough on the system yet to know what is coincidental and what’s causal. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Thanks Dave, maybe I just got lazy. I’ll see what it does on the next flight.

I’m not getting the L IGN G3X message or the L IGN light on the panel on my first move of the key to the Right position from both. It will then switch smooth to the left, give me proper R IGN messages and lights but then does the momentary cut out when going back to the right from the left. It will then give me good L IGN messages and lights and switch smoothly to BOTH.

As far as my run-up sequence, I’ve just been doing the steps laid out in the Executive Glass Supplement in the POH.

If there is better logic or a better way I’m up for it. 👍🏼

I’ll try and video it on my next flight and see if it does it again. If it does, maybe I can share it on the FB page if you’re willing to take a look.

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    Brett, That's common for the engine to "cut out" when switching between left and right if you go very slowly. It's just the switch between the contacts. Don't worry about that. Notice if you switch it rather quickly you won't notice that.

I always go... BOTH.....then LEFT (check the right warning on)......then back to BOTH.....then to RIGHT (check left warning on)...then flip up the EMERGENCY switch and see if the backup battery light comes on the panel (if G3X) and the amber LED light comes on by the switch......that switch OFF and then back to BOTH.

As far as why that light would not work the first and it does the next I really don't know.

I imagine you are referring to the red led lights on the panel? If you have G3X.........what is it saying? It should be telling you also if an ignition is not working and when the backup battery is working on the RIGHT ignition when you have the EMERGENCY switch ON.

That would be great if you could do a video. I think you are still saying that the problem doesn’t exist (with the lights or G3X message) when you do it the 2nd and subsequent times? The problem is only the first time you move the switch but then DOES work OK on the LED red lights and G3X the next time you use it? Do I have that right. If it never works, then that is probably a different problem than if it’s intermittent.

The studded between the L & R switch positions are normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Thanks Dave, maybe I just got lazy. I’ll see what it does on the next flight.

I’m not getting the L IGN G3X message or the L IGN light on the panel on my first move of the key to the Right position from both. It will then switch smooth to the left, give me proper R IGN messages and lights but then does the momentary cut out when going back to the right from the left. It will then give me good L IGN messages and lights and switch smoothly to BOTH.

As far as my run-up sequence, I’ve just been doing the steps laid out in the Executive Glass Supplement in the POH.

If there is better logic or a better way I’m up for it. 👍🏼

I’ll try and video it on my next flight and see if it does it again. If it does, maybe I can share it on the FB page if you’re willing to take a look.

Thanks!!
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..