Thread: Autopilot cut out issue

Default Autopilot cut out issue

The Garmin autopilot on the EX works great, most of the time. It is controlled through the G3X. But it randomly just quits at intervals of perhaps 20 minutes or so, with the usual 'beeps' and the AP image turning red. Turn it back on and it is good to go. This happens in most any conditions: smooth air, cross wind, bumpy air. Before turning it on the plane is stable, trim properly set.

I am looking for any ideas why this is happening.

The settings as to gain, airspeed, etc. seem to be appropriate and working as they should. The mechanical connections with the servos are in good order as well.

The operating system is current as of July 2019.

IMG_6480.jpg

Default Re: Autopilot cut out issue

That’s kind of strange Chuck. I’ve not experienced that but few things to check maybe:

- If it looses GPS signal it will shut off
    - The magnetometer has to be properly calibrated and functioning
    - if it gets hot or over torque values come up (are your controls easy to operate and not require too much torque to hold)
    - Loosing the CAN bus signal?

just guessing here but those are a few things that maybe could affect it. I’ve. Had good luck with emails to g3xpert@garmin.com. They usually get back to me on questions within a day and are very helpful with issues.

Quote Originally Posted by ceslaw View Post
    The Garmin autopilot on the EX works great, most of the time. It is controlled through the G3X. But it randomly just quits at intervals of perhaps 20 minutes or so, with the usual 'beeps' and the AP image turning red. Turn it back on and it is good to go. This happens in most any conditions: smooth air, cross wind, bumpy air. Before turning it on the plane is stable, trim properly set.

I am looking for any ideas why this is happening.

The settings as to gain, airspeed, etc. seem to be appropriate and working as they should. The mechanical connections with the servos are in good order as well.

The operating system is current as of July 2019.

IMG_6480.jpg
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Dave: thanks for the quick response. I will follow up with Garmin to see what they suggested.

I had not considered an interrupted GPS signal as a possibility, but the ADSB works fine and the chart plotter has not given any clue of any issues. But perhaps even a momentary burb could shut it down.

Hard to know if a servo is overheating, although the circuit breaker never pops and it works fine when I reset it - at least for a while.

If the magnetometer were an issue I wonder if it would be reflected in the function of other items - all of which seem to work great, plus the intermittent nature would seem to make its calibration not an issue.

Perhaps it is a intermittent connection, as you suggest. That may make the most sense. I may back off on the torque settings as an experiment as well; it is set at 60%. What is yours set at?

Anyway, good suggestions for which I am greatful and will follow up

Chuck

Chuck, I know some of the EX2 torque tubes would end up being too tight in the mounting blocks that hold them down when you torqued the blocks to the 90 in lbs. I know i had to shim the blocks on my EX2 and so some sanding to get the tube to move easily. Before doing that, it was much too stiff. I hooked up the AP and it wouldn’t respond even with the torque value being at 100%. There just wasn’t enough torque on the servos to move the roll servo. It would just sit there and then shut off on it’s on. After loosening up the mounting blocks, it worked.

I would doubt that is your issue though since it’s been a while since you finished yours. Is this something that just started or has it been happening for awhile?

Those g3xpert@garmin.com I’m sure will have some suggestions. Please let us know when you figure it out.

Dave: thanks for the quick response. I will follow up with Garmin to see what they suggested.

I had not considered an interrupted GPS signal as a possibility, but the ADSB works fine and the chart plotter has not given any clue of any issues. But perhaps even a momentary burb could shut it down.

Hard to know if a servo is overheating, although the circuit breaker never pops and it works fine when I reset it - at least for a while.

If the magnetometer were an issue I wonder if it would be reflected in the function of other items - all of which seem to work great, plus the intermittent nature would seem to make its calibration not an issue.

Perhaps it is a intermittent connection, as you suggest. That may make the most sense. I may back off on the torque settings as an experiment as well; it is set at 60%. What is yours set at?

Anyway, good suggestions for which I am greatful and will follow up

Chuck
    Dave Embry

Problem solved.

Garmin never responded to my inquiries. Customer support must not be its forte. So a bit of head scratching made us wonder if perhaps it was an operating system glitch.

We were running version 8.30, loaded last fall.

We downloaded the current version 8.71. Took it up last night for a short flight and it worked flawlessly for the ten mile test.

I guess the moral of the story is when something weird happens that defies explanation, update the operating system.

Thanks for the update! I also had something "weird" happening one time and the update also fixed it.

Problem solved.

Garmin never responded to my inquiries. Customer support must not be its forte. So a bit of head scratching made us wonder if perhaps it was an operating system glitch.

We were running version 8.30, loaded last fall.

We downloaded the current version 8.71. Took it up last night for a short flight and it worked flawlessly for the ten mile test.

I guess the moral of the story is when something weird happens that defies explanation, update the operating system.
    Dave Embry