Thread: CC363i Ignition Alternative

Default CC363i Ignition Alternative

I'm wondering if anyone have thoughts or has done the conversion on replacing the Airmotive/Lightspeed fuel/ignition system of the CC363i to an SDS or FlyEFii. I've seen these systems installed and operate and impressed with it. I'm a newbie in the CC world and I'm making my shopping/wish list so I would love to hear your comments and experience about doing this sort of thing.

Thanks,
    Robert

Default Re: CC363i Ignition Alternative

Quote Originally Posted by cubdreamer View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone have thoughts or has done the conversion on replacing the Airmotive/Lightspeed fuel/ignition system of the CC363i to an SDS or FlyEFii.
    Hi Robert,

Thanks for putting out a great question. When we conceived the CC363i engine, both the SDS and EFii systems were researched and considered. From our internal engineering evaluation, we choose what we felt supplied the best customer experience overall. While these other systems are no doubt operating well in various applications, we went with LightSpeed for a variety of reasons, including:

• The LightSpeed ignition system has had great reliability on our Carbon Cub line for nearly a decade.
    • More complex systems, that require constant fuel flow, require overflow fuel lines to be added and piped into each main tank. This further complicates the system as additional valves and lines would also need to be added to make sure the selected tank is the tank that the overflow is directed to. The added weight and complexity did not seem befitting of the Carbon Cub mission.
    • Clear pilot indications of the health of an ignition system are paramount. The preference is a system that can integrate engine systems monitoring/indications with our most popular avionics suites, versus having separate panel mount devices.

As an Experimental application, you can certainly spec whatever system you prefer on your EX-3 or FX-3 Carbon Cub. CubCrafters intends to stick with LightSpeed at this time.

Hope this helps,

Pat
    Patrick Horgan
    President
    CubCrafters | Yakima WA