Thread: EX3 - Recommended build order between Wing and Fuselage

Default EX3 - Recommended build order between Wing and Fuselage

I would like to build an EX3 by buying and completing a section of the kit one at a time. I couldn't find a post that would give me an idea whether starting with the Fuselage first, then the Wings, and lastly the Finish kit.

I've watched VANs RV builds before but it would be great to know what the CC community would say the most optimal section to start with.

Default Re: EX3 - Recommended build order between Wing and Fuselage

I found "YANKEE ONE" project on youtube and it answered my question.

Well I really don’t know that it makes much difference because they are all totally separate and unique. It seems most people start with the wings for some reason.

I would build the left wing first since the manual instructions and part numbers/figures are all showing the left wing. The ring wing is reversed of course and have slightly different part numbers. Not hard, but the first time it’s easier to look directly at a photo or figure in the same direction as the one you are working on. I would do 1 wing at a time and not do both at the same time as i think that is confusing.

While building the wings, the fuse and rest of the kit can be stored out of the way. Once the wings are done and covered, you can store them on the wing racks that you can easily build....and move them out of the way. I like to go ahead and build wings, cover them all in my garage workshop. Then I move them to my hangar where I have a paint booth and I paint them. Then you are finished except for doing minor things like vortex generators, landing and nav lights, magnetometer, pitot/AOA, stall warning, etc. If you find yourself waiting on parts or something while building the fuse, then you can do some or all of these things while waiting.

You can then put the fuse together and cover at home if you like, then move to paint booth and paint it and then bring it back and install the electronics, panel/wiring; engine, and many of the other finish items before having to take it back to the hangar to hang the wings and finish up.

You can follow my thread here and the thread is in the order of my builds. It’s a lot of fun and really enjoyable, especially for me to do most of the build from home where I can just tinker at my leisure without a drive to the airport to work. I can step into the garage and work 5 minutes or 5 hours if I like.

http://forum.cubcrafters.com/showthr...1571#post21571

Quote Originally Posted by cubdreamer View Post
    I would like to build an EX3 by buying and completing a section of the kit one at a time. I couldn't find a post that would give me an idea whether starting with the Fuselage first, then the Wings, and lastly the Finish kit.

I've watched VANs RV builds before but it would be great to know what the CC community would say the most optimal section to start with.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Hi Dave,

I really appreciate your detailed response and this is exactly what I'm going to do.

Thanks,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    Well I really don’t know that it makes much difference because they are all totally separate and unique. It seems most people start with the wings for some reason.

I would build the left wing first since the manual instructions and part numbers/figures are all showing the left wing. The ring wing is reversed of course and have slightly different part numbers. Not hard, but the first time it’s easier to look directly at a photo or figure in the same direction as the one you are working on. I would do 1 wing at a time and not do both at the same time as i think that is confusing.

While building the wings, the fuse and rest of the kit can be stored out of the way. Once the wings are done and covered, you can store them on the wing racks that you can easily build....and move them out of the way. I like to go ahead and build wings, cover them all in my garage workshop. Then I move them to my hangar where I have a paint booth and I paint them. Then you are finished except for doing minor things like vortex generators, landing and nav lights, magnetometer, pitot/AOA, stall warning, etc. If you find yourself waiting on parts or something while building the fuse, then you can do some or all of these things while waiting.

You can then put the fuse together and cover at home if you like, then move to paint booth and paint it and then bring it back and install the electronics, panel/wiring; engine, and many of the other finish items before having to take it back to the hangar to hang the wings and finish up.

You can follow my thread here and the thread is in the order of my builds. It’s a lot of fun and really enjoyable, especially for me to do most of the build from home where I can just tinker at my leisure without a drive to the airport to work. I can step into the garage and work 5 minutes or 5 hours if I like.

http://forum.cubcrafters.com/showthr...1571#post21571