Thread: Wing pre-wiring

Default Wing pre-wiring

My Sport Cub has wires inside wings for nav lights although I do not have lights, breaker, or switch. Seems there are two blue wires in a molex type plug and a three wire conductor, with red, white, and black wires. I can't seem to find the other ends under the panel. Can anyone provide some insight as to where the other ends inside the fuselage are located?

I am thinking about adding nav/strobe led combo lights to make me more visible.

Default Re: Wing pre-wiring

Most likely the 'ends' are in the wing root.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    Most likely the 'ends' are in the wing root.
    Thanks..I should have looked there..I will check. I assumed there was a "standard" wiring harness that would have plugs near panel, where switch and circuit breaker would have been located if equipped with lights. I figured if wiring was "custom", they would not have bothered with wires in wing.

Well all I can speak about is the standard wiring harness in the EX2 and 3’s. There is aa 4 wire harness that goes down the wing spars for the newer LED lighting package that CC uses. That wiring harness ends in the wing root and have a connector there that would connect to the main harness that has a wire with connector running up the side pillars to the wing root. That harness then ties into the panel for the switch and breakers. “IF” this is the same harness and the light not installed, I would assume those wires behind the panel were “capped and stowed” which means they have a piece of shrink tubing over the ends and are bundled up and tie wrapped in with the rest of the wires “somewhere” in the wiring bundle behind the panel. If the wires are in the wing, I would think maybe they are there and connected except to the panel????

All these wires are numbered (should be anyway) but not sure what they would be. The latest light kits also have the wig-wag function which has a separate white rectangular box usually tie wrapped onto the top v tubes in the boot cowl. The box is probably 4 - 5” by 2-3” and 1” thick.

Quote Originally Posted by stroutmail View Post
    Thanks..I should have looked there..I will check. I assumed there was a "standard" wiring harness that would have plugs near panel, where switch and circuit breaker would have been located if equipped with lights. I figured if wiring was "custom", they would not have bothered with wires in wing.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

My sport cub is 2007, so would be wired for the "old" type lights that I believe had a controller box under the seat base...at least that is my guess given the wording in the Cubcrafters Aveo mod kit publication that speaks to converting from the heavy old system to the light weight led system.

I am thinking now that whatever the case, there is some form of "connector/s" at the wing root.. will look there...kinda hard to see up there. Will try my cheap "borescope" camera/viewer app on phone.
    Last edited by stroutmail; 02-15-2020 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stroutmail View Post
    My sport cub is 2007, so would be wired for the "old" type lights that I believe had a controller box under the seat base...at least that is my guess given the wording in the Cubcrafters Aveo mod kit publication that speaks to converting from the heavy old system to the light weight led system.

I am thinking now that whatever the case, there is some form of "connector/s" at the wing root.. will look there...kinda hard to see up there. Will try my cheap "borescope" camera/viewer app on phone.
    Correct, that CC11 would have been before the LED lights were available. Strobes, if ordered, would have been powered by a power supply mounted under the front seat. Nav light power would have gone directly to the wing from the switch on the panel. Very possible your airplane only has the wires in the wings and nothing from the wing root down. You may be able to see without taking any panels off. Put the flaps down, get on a ladder behind the wing and look down through the skylight into the wing roots with a bright flash light. Wires would be coming out of the wing near the front spar.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Thanks Pete!

I am not very interested in flying at "night" (after civil twilight) but anti collision lights are required after "sunset" and on an overcast day, it is pretty hard to see in the last hour before sunset (it is called the golden hour, but on an overcast day, it's just dark gray) so making my plane visible during that period seems prudent for cross country flying...sort of like always flying with "reserve fuel". I could forsee having to change destination because of unexpected weather.
    Last edited by stroutmail; 02-20-2020 at 04:53 PM.