Thread: Volts constant but amps will fall off and run negative

Default Volts constant but amps will fall off and run negative

Plane: EX-2, 32 hours, Dynon Skyview, bought the power distribution kit and wired the plane like the Executive Glass Touch panel.

Problem; intermittent negative amp readings, voltage remains constant (have verified the volts reading with a multimeter on the battery). I would guess this has happened 4/5 times in the past 32 hours. First occurrence, I pulled the 50 amp breaker (it did not pop), reset it and amps went back up to normal. I checked everything for loose connections, frayed, etc. Everything was fine . It happened again, breaker didn't pop, reset and amps returned to normal. Checked everything, no obvious faults, so I replaced the breaker. Now on the new breaker, same intermittent issue. Amps drop to negative and I reset the breaker and things return to normal.

I cannot narrow it down to flight attitudes (takeoff, climb,....), it just happens.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Dan
    Last edited by aeroaddict; 02-02-2020 at 03:20 PM.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Default Re: Volts constant but amps will fall off and run negative

Well, the G3X was having a similar problem that needed up being software related from Garmin. You would be flying along and then get a warning about amp drops and it would just drop for a second or 2 or 3 and then return to normal. Garmin updated the software and fixed it after we chased it trying to find the problem. So, this may not have anything to do with your situation but perhaps it is software related?

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    Plane: EX-2, 32 hours, Dynon Skyview, bought the power distribution kit and wired the plane like the Executive Glass Touch panel.

Problem; intermittent negative amp readings, voltage remains constant (have verified the volts reading with a multimeter on the battery). I would guess this has happened 4/5 times in the past 32 hours. First occurrence, I pulled the 50 amp breaker (it did not pop), reset it and amps went back up to normal. I checked everything for loose connections, frayed, etc. Everything was fine . It happened again, breaker didn't pop, reset and amps returned to normal. Checked everything, no obvious faults, so I replaced the breaker. Now on the new breaker, same intermittent issue. Amps drop to negative and I reset the breaker and things return to normal.

I cannot narrow it down to flight attitudes (takeoff, climb,....), it just happens.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Dan
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Interesting point as I will shut off then turn back on the alternator feed and it acts like a reset. The software is up to date, but I will reload as it's easily done and worth a try.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    Interesting point as I will shut off then turn back on the alternator feed and it acts like a reset. The software is up to date, but I will reload as it's easily done and worth a try.
    We had a similar problem. It was a bad crimp on the field connector at the alternator. If that connection fails intermittently, the battery may remain charged and show normal voltage. But, if it is disconnected long enough, the battery will lose it's charge and since the alternator is not working the engine will quit. This happened to us, we switched to the standby battery and continued to the airport, albeit without radios. The Skyview EFIS has it's own backup battery. We replaced the connector and potted it with RTV. We also set the EMS to warn any time amps are below zero or below. This is a good reason to ensure the standby battery is fully charged and the amps are positive before takeoff.

DRL

Since the plane is still apart, I will take your suggestion and double check the field wire and pot with RTV.

Thanks
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Update;

Reloaded and update the S/W. Checked the field connector, everything looked good.

Have flown 2 hours without and issue. Time will tell.

Cheers
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL