Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Seat for CarbonCub

Default Rear Seat for CarbonCub

The last couple of years I have noodled around with coming up with something for a real live rear seat to help make the Mrs happy. She doesnt mind the sling seat so much as the swinging around in rough air, it doesnt seem "solid" in her words
    I have made a couple different ones, and thrown them away. This is my latest prototype, I post it up here so you guys can throw rocks at it. We had bought her a oregon aero 2 inch cushion, that has been a big improvement.

I have a seat out of a 150 Cessna, and my local upholstery girl mounted the Oregon aero cushion to the Seat.
    I used a couple of 1.5 in square tube alum for bottom frame, with 2 one inch holes drilled in the end to accept the factory cross tube, and also retains the hold down straps to the floor. I havent mounted the rear frames to the floor because i havent figured out an elegant way to do it yet, and also be quick release to fold the seat out of the way
    I might try a rivet nut, with a reinforced plate underneath. the seat folds nicely up against the front seat, and will be held there with a ratchet strap. The seat is held to the aluminum tubing with a heavy adel clamp
    Here are some pix, fire away. Some of my concerns are crashworthyness? Seems like it is more substatial then the fabric sling. Weight, although I think it may be only a lb difference when finished,

Jim

IMG_5796 (2).jpg

IMG_5797.jpg

IMG_5799.jpg

Default Re: Rear Seat for CarbonCub

Quote Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
    The last couple of years I have noodled around with coming up with something for a real live rear seat to help make the Mrs happy. She doesnt mind the sling seat so much as the swinging around in rough air, it doesnt seem "solid" in her words
    I have made a couple different ones, and thrown them away. This is my latest prototype, I post it up here so you guys can throw rocks at it. We had bought her a oregon aero 2 inch cushion, that has been a big improvement.

I have a seat out of a 150 Cessna, and my local upholstery girl mounted the Oregon aero cushion to the Seat.
    I used a couple of 1.5 in square tube alum for bottom frame, with 2 one inch holes drilled in the end to accept the factory cross tube, and also retains the hold down straps to the floor. I havent mounted the rear frames to the floor because i havent figured out an elegant way to do it yet, and also be quick release to fold the seat out of the way
    I might try a rivet nut, with a reinforced plate underneath. the seat folds nicely up against the front seat, and will be held there with a ratchet strap. The seat is held to the aluminum tubing with a heavy adel clamp
    Here are some pix, fire away. Some of my concerns are crashworthyness? Seems like it is more substatial then the fabric sling. Weight, although I think it may be only a lb difference when finished,

Jim

IMG_5796 (2).jpg

IMG_5797.jpg

IMG_5799.jpg
    Well I for one give you an "A" for effort but frankly I would prefer you to continue on the cabin heat project!

Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    Well I for one give you an "A" for effort but frankly I would prefer you to continue on the cabin heat project!
    has anyone thought about naca duct to get more air through the system? I ceramic coated my exhaust and I think that was a poor decision for the heater even though it was good for the engine

That is what they did with the FX/EX3. NACA duct on the bottom of the cowl with 2 scat lines going to upgraded heat muffs (exhaust pipes have heat sink fin to hold the heat). Blows like hell......

Quote Originally Posted by lbell View Post
    has anyone thought about naca duct to get more air through the system? I ceramic coated my exhaust and I think that was a poor decision for the heater even though it was good for the engine
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Glenn
    got a couple things going on the heater front, will keep you posted
    Since the plane is in FL for he winter, been more concerned with he seat rather than heat. You know Chuck is onto something with not having to deal with this snow.

Jim

Since the Cabin heat has came up in this tread I figure I would give my thoughts. Extra airflow through the heat muff will not do much extra for heat. The muffs are to small so the extra airflow just means faster moving cooler air. What is needed is bigger heat muffs. I will do this one day when I get time but if someone wants to go for it first here it is.

The heat muff needs to wrap both exhausts on each side with as large of a can that will fit around both exhausts. The can will have to be lower down the pipe than it currently is for the extra room needed for it to work. This should be done on both side with two scats entering the cabin. A diverter can be places on the left side to be used as carb heat as needed. The larger can volume is the key to good heat. Naca ducts like the EX3 would be placed on the cowling for much better airflow.

This is what I think will solve the only downside of the EX/EX2.....more cabin heat!

I agree with Troy re increasing the volume of air. Tried to do this a few years ago with a fan on the cabin side that pulls more air through. This was on this forum. Result is much more cool air.
    Has anyone looked at larger heat muffs that would fit the ex? Possible to adapt the ex 3 muffs or variation of?
    Putting another type muff in coupled with the fan i already have in place might be a relatively easy change.

I think we all agree the existing heat muff is under sized for the volume of warm air some of us would like. Now it's just a matter of who will take this project on knowing it's so highly profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    I think we all agree the existing heat muff is under sized for the volume of warm air some of us would like. Now it's just a matter of who will take this project on knowing it's so highly profitable.
    A good mod would be worth a lot of $ to me. I don't see how anyone flies one in the north. Took the wife when it was 40 on the ground, she hasn't flown with me since.

Quote Originally Posted by lbell View Post
    A good mod would be worth a lot of $ to me. I don't see how anyone flies one in the north. Took the wife when it was 40 on the ground, she hasn't flown with me since.
    Not without a lot of chatter afterwards and not just one's teeth. Ask Jim and JP about Barnard Lake.