Thread: A few questions from a new EX-3 build...

Default A few questions from a new EX-3 build...

Hi, folks!

I'm working through the beginning steps of an EX-3 build (wing kit) and I wanted to pose a few questions to the group.

First, is it expected that I should be using Loctite #271 on all bolt and nut assemblies in the front and rear spars? The manual includes the following text in the introduction:

"The manual will prescribe use of Loctite and Torque Seal on the bolted assemblies. Loctite helps to preventthe nut from loosening. Torque Seal facilitates inspection (if the seal is broken the nut has probably come
    loose). The torque values for the propeller mounting bolts and for the fasteners on the engine have been
    established by their manufacturers. Please use the manufacturer-recommended torque values."

I would think that implies the use of Loctite, but the end of section 4 reads: "Mark all installed bolts and nuts using Torque Seal." It's the exclusion of any mention of Loctite that is making me stop and seek clarification.

My last question, there's a table lists the proper torque values based upon the shank size of a bolt. It lists AN3 through AN6 sizes. The kit has a few other bolt sizes (i.e. AN174, AN175, etc.)...is there a standard torque value for these? I know the manual, so far, has instructed 90 in-lbs for 1/4" in bolts and 180 in-lbs for 5/16" bolts, but just wanted to check.

Thanks!

Patrick

Default Re: A few questions from a new EX-3 build...

Hi Patrick, welcome to the club!

You don’t apply any Loctite to anything unless specifically told to in the manual. As you go along, you will see mention of it in the written description or noted on a Figure when and where to apply any thread lock. There are only a very few places where either blue or red Loctite is called for.

Torque seal should be used on every single nut/bolt/screw in the build except where castellated nuts with cotter pins are used (because they are used so the bolt can rotate and move).

You will notice differing torque values from that front intro page and some written or figured number quoted. I use the values stated unless the written or figures say otherwise.

Also in the Dropbox files, you should see the very first document which is “Acceptable Methods & Practices.....” which goes over details of building “methods & techniques”.

Enjoy and feel free to jump on here with questions and we will try and help.

Quote Originally Posted by ptredway View Post
    Hi, folks!

I'm working through the beginning steps of an EX-3 build (wing kit) and I wanted to pose a few questions to the group.

First, is it expected that I should be using Loctite #271 on all bolt and nut assemblies in the front and rear spars? The manual includes the following text in the introduction:

"The manual will prescribe use of Loctite and Torque Seal on the bolted assemblies. Loctite helps to preventthe nut from loosening. Torque Seal facilitates inspection (if the seal is broken the nut has probably come
    loose). The torque values for the propeller mounting bolts and for the fasteners on the engine have been
    established by their manufacturers. Please use the manufacturer-recommended torque values."

I would think that implies the use of Loctite, but the end of section 4 reads: "Mark all installed bolts and nuts using Torque Seal." It's the exclusion of any mention of Loctite that is making me stop and seek clarification.

My last question, there's a table lists the proper torque values based upon the shank size of a bolt. It lists AN3 through AN6 sizes. The kit has a few other bolt sizes (i.e. AN174, AN175, etc.)...is there a standard torque value for these? I know the manual, so far, has instructed 90 in-lbs for 1/4" in bolts and 180 in-lbs for 5/16" bolts, but just wanted to check.

Thanks!

Patrick

Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..