Thread: Fitting Shock Cords (Bungees) to Hydrasorb on Landing Gear

Default Fitting Shock Cords (Bungees) to Hydrasorb on Landing Gear

Is there any available tool designs or advice on fitting the supplied shock cords to the Hydrasorb unit. Upon trying to fit the supplied shock cords to the Hydrasorb bollards, the diameter of the cords at 3/4 inch seems very tight.
    It seems that the PA18 offers a lesser 5/8 inch diameter option for less rough back country or airport use.
    Anyone had similar trouble or used a different method or tools?
    https://www.univair.com/accessories-...ir-shock-cord/
    https://www.univair.com/accessories-...ir-shock-cord/

Default Re: Fitting Shock Cords (Bungees) to Hydrasorb on Landing Gear

I cannot comment on the diameters that will fit or work better. I went with the stock set up because I thought CC knew more than I did.

But, upon installation, using a borrowed tool for mounting the bungees, I was not satisfied with the fit where the cord over lapped. I couldn't get a good even fitment.

In the end I went with Acme's and sold the bungee/hydrosorbs.

Probably not the answer you were looking for, but the stock cords were difficult to mount.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

That is my advice too from a very experienced PA18 aircraft engineer, to fit the smaller 1080 bungees instead, because the fit was better.
    Do you have a picture of the tool used, the only one I could find anywhere, was manufactured "inhouse".

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    I cannot comment on the diameters that will fit or work better. I went with the stock set up because I thought CC knew more than I did.

But, upon installation, using a borrowed tool for mounting the bungees, I was not satisfied with the fit where the cord over lapped. I couldn't get a good even fitment.

In the end I went with Acme's and sold the bungee/hydrosorbs.

Probably not the answer you were looking for, but the stock cords were difficult to mount.

I do not have a picture as it was a loaned tool. But it was a commerical professional tool stricky for the installation of the bungees.

Search SuperCub.org and you will probably find a picture or possibly a source in your area for a loaner.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Thanks, I found this thread on Supercub.org - not sure this tool looks commercial quality, I know it's something to be very careful fitting cords to a Hydrasorb
    https://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...rasorb-bungees

I do not have a picture as it was a loaned tool. But it was a commerical professional tool stricky for the installation of the bungees.

Search SuperCub.org and you will probably find a picture or possibly a source in your area for a loaner.

Yup, that looks similar to the scary beast I used. I must admit, out of the whole build, putting on the bungees was probably the most apprehensive part of the build.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

I found a much better design on Youtube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgL5JGSy748

Yup, that looks similar to the scary beast I used. I must admit, out of the whole build, putting on the bungees was probably the most apprehensive part of the build.