Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: FX-3 repairman certificate

  1. #1
    Senior Member Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    126

    Default FX-3 repairman certificate

    My FX-3 first build week is a month away and I have just found out that a repairman certificate is not automatically issued when the aircraft is certificated.

    I now understand that a repairman certificate can only be issued by an FAA FSDO and not by the DAR who does the airworthiness certification.

    I would like to hear from FX-3 builders who applied for a repairman certificate. Which FSDO did you use and what, if any, problems were experienced? Any other tips on getting a repairman certificate issued for an FX-3?

    Thanks,

    Andy

  2. #2
    Senior Member Dan L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    642

    Default Re: FX-3 repairman certificate

    When I got my repairman certificate for my EX I was told by the FSDO that it had to be given to me directly. I offered to fly to Helena to get it but the inspector was going to passing through my area in a few days for something else and delivered it to me.
    Last edited by Dan L; 12-12-2019 at 07:36 PM.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

  3. #3
    Senior Member ATXCubDriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    354

    Default Re: FX-3 repairman certificate

    Andy I sent you a PM. Email me at mike@boomerangair.net for details.


    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    My FX-3 first build week is a month away and I have just found out that a repairman certificate is not automatically issued when the aircraft is certificated.

    I now understand that a repairman certificate can only be issued by an FAA FSDO and not by the DAR who does the airworthiness certification.

    I would like to hear from FX-3 builders who applied for a repairman certificate. Which FSDO did you use and what, if any, problems were experienced? Any other tips on getting a repairman certificate issued for an FX-3?

    Thanks,

    Andy
    Mike Sasser
    Boomerang Air
    mike@boomerangair.net

    OK,AR,TX,LA
    www.cubcrafters.com




  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Warwickshire, UK
    Posts
    85

    Default Re: FX-3 repairman certificate

    After my EX-2 was certified I made an appointment at my local FSDO to apply for the certificate.
    I bought my build log along and there was a brief discussion about the limitations and FAR pt 43 appendix D to make sure I understood the rules etc.
    Quite straightforward and brief and I left with a temporary certificate. The plastic one arrived soon after.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Posts
    631

    Default Re: FX-3 repairman certificate

    Sorry but Iím not sure of the FSDO vs DAR but I use a FSDO and the way I do it is fill out the forms and get them signed and completed at the same time the FSDO does the inspection and issues the Special Airworthiness Cert. So itís all done at the same time and the card arrives from FAA at a later date.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    My FX-3 first build week is a month away and I have just found out that a repairman certificate is not automatically issued when the aircraft is certificated.

    I now understand that a repairman certificate can only be issued by an FAA FSDO and not by the DAR who does the airworthiness certification.

    I would like to hear from FX-3 builders who applied for a repairman certificate. Which FSDO did you use and what, if any, problems were experienced? Any other tips on getting a repairman certificate issued for an FX-3?

    Thanks,

    Andy
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

  6. #6
    Senior Member ATXCubDriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    354

    Default Re: FX-3 repairman certificate

    Yeah they won't do it that way on the FX3. My guys did it at their home FSDO office with no issue. They went to FSDO in person with builder log and had no issue getting the certificate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    Sorry but Iím not sure of the FSDO vs DAR but I use a FSDO and the way I do it is fill out the forms and get them signed and completed at the same time the FSDO does the inspection and issues the Special Airworthiness Cert. So itís all done at the same time and the card arrives from FAA at a later date.
    Mike Sasser
    Boomerang Air
    mike@boomerangair.net

    OK,AR,TX,LA
    www.cubcrafters.com




  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Posts
    631

    Default Re: FX-3 repairman certificate

    Well to clarify, they probably WILL do it with the FX-3 ďIFĒ they were using the FSDO instead of DAR. I guess Cubcrafters only uses DARís on the FX builds so thatís why. I use FSDO here because heís at no cost even though I have to schedule ahead usually a couple of weeks but other than that.....great to work with. Not really sure why people use DAR and pay so much unless itís just a scheduling issue or if there are places the FSDO wonít do it?

    Quote Originally Posted by ATXCubDriver View Post
    Yeah they won't do it that way on the FX3. My guys did it at their home FSDO office with no issue. They went to FSDO in person with builder log and had no issue getting the certificate.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

  8. #8
    Senior Member ATXCubDriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    354

    Default Re: FX-3 repairman certificate

    My understanding is that several FSDO's don't have anyone on staff that is qualified.



    Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    Well to clarify, they probably WILL do it with the FX-3 ďIFĒ they were using the FSDO instead of DAR. I guess Cubcrafters only uses DARís on the FX builds so thatís why. I use FSDO here because heís at no cost even though I have to schedule ahead usually a couple of weeks but other than that.....great to work with. Not really sure why people use DAR and pay so much unless itís just a scheduling issue or if there are places the FSDO wonít do it?
    Mike Sasser
    Boomerang Air
    mike@boomerangair.net

    OK,AR,TX,LA
    www.cubcrafters.com




  9. #9
    Senior Member Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    126

    Default Re: FX-3 repairman certificate

    Quote Originally Posted by ATXCubDriver View Post
    Andy I sent you a PM. Email me at mike@boomerangair.net for details.

    Thanks Mike. I sent my email in a reply to your private message.

    Thanks to others who replied too. After my first post I called my local FSDO (SDL AZ) and had an informative chat with an inspector there. I was left with the impression it should not be too difficult to get a repairman certificate issued by that office.

    There is one area I still have concern about. I had planned to use my LLC as the registered builder, and as owner, but the repairman certificate is issued to a named individual. Does using an LLC as the builder cause any problem with issuance of the repairman certificate?

    Thanks,

    Andy

  10. #10
    Senior Member Dan L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    642

    Default Re: FX-3 repairman certificate

    Quote Originally Posted by ATXCubDriver View Post
    Yeah they won't do it that way on the FX3. My guys did it at their home FSDO office with no issue. They went to FSDO in person with builder log and had no issue getting the certificate.
    My DAR filled out the paperwork for me. I mailed it to the FSDO and they then issued the certificate.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •