Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tailwheel PPL instruction and CC for first Plane....

Default Tailwheel PPL instruction and CC for first Plane....

Hello,

Like most of you, I grew up dreaming of flying. Until now, PPL just didn't work for my life circumstances. I have satisfied my passion for flight as an active hang glider pilot and with some paragliding. I have decided that it is finally time to add powered flight to my options. No question that I want to fly a taildragger and want it to be a CC. I know that insurance will be costly, if even possible for a new pilot. I would love to hear some insight from others that might have taken this path. I think I have located a good instructor that will train in a CC Sport. Thanks in advance for your consideration in this regard.

I apologize if this has been covered, I am sure it has, but I searched and couldn't find anything.

Cheers,

Matt
    Last edited by Lostgriz; 12-08-2019 at 09:24 AM.

Default Re: Tailwheel PPL instruction and CC for first Plane....

36 views with no comments, I guess this is either a dumb question or it has been covered previously and I am just missing it....

Quote Originally Posted by Lostgriz View Post
    Hello,

Like most of you, I grew up dreaming of flying. Until now, PPL just didn't work for my life circumstances. I have satisfied my passion for flight as an active hang glider pilot and with some paragliding. I have decided that it is finally time to add powered flight to my options. No question that I want to fly a taildragger and want it to be a CC. I know that insurance will be costly, if even possible for a new pilot. I would love to hear some insight from others that might have taken this path. I think I have located a good instructor that will train in a CC Sport. Thanks in advance for your consideration in this regard.

I apologize if this has been covered, I am sure it has, but I searched and couldn't find anything.

Cheers,

Matt

My name is Chip Allen, and I own SWT Aviation, Inc., the CubCrafters Certified Sales Center for the southeast U.S. I have several Carbon Cub owners who have gone through the entire PPL curriculum in their airplanes, including the checkride, and have had absolutely no issues. As I'm sure you know, the PPL includes some instrument and night requirements which your instructor may or may not be comfortable doing in the Cub, but otherwise, you just need to do it!! You'll be glad you did!! Call me if I can do anything to help. My contact information is on my website, www.swtaviation.com, or on the CubCrafters site at www.cubcrafters.com. We sincerely appreciate your interest in CubCrafters and we look forward to being among the first to welcome you to the CubCrafters family.

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

Thank you Chip! If you have any contacts with first had experience, I would've to chat with them. My email is lostgriz at gmail.

Thank you for the info! I will be interested in how they managed insurance and what their experience was like, as well as who they trained with.

Thanks,

Matt

I've pushed your e-mail out to several of my customers; hopefully, you'll hear from a few of them.

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

Thank you Chip, I hope to hear from some of them. I find it crazy that with a 126 views, one person has responded...

Quote Originally Posted by chipallen View Post
    I've pushed your e-mail out to several of my customers; hopefully, you'll hear from a few of them.

Matt

I think you very well and hit the nail on the head with your insurance. I just finished a extensive requote on my insurance with two carbon cubs on the policy. All the companies who Quoted itit require 500 hours total time, 100 hours Tail wheeltime and 25 hours make and model. That was pretty standard requirement from all the companies Who quoted.

My premium on the 2017 SS is 2800 per year with 190 K hull value
    I don’t know of anyone who did the start to finish private pilot in a carbon cub SS.

I’m sure there are some I just don’t know them.

I know of a couple guys went from 50 hours in a Cessna 150 to a new carbon cub. So far so good.

Not sure what you’re work Situation is, but if you could swing it I would go to Tac Aero, in Washington state. spend a month with them and you will have your private done in a carbon cub SS. I suspect it would not be the cheapest route but he would have it done in a month

What airport are you at in Virginia? I’m moving my Cub to Florida from Maine right after Christmas. I wouldnt mind my stopping for a couple hours to give you a ride in mine

Jim Crane
    jimcrane04435@gmail.com
    Last edited by Scouter; 12-11-2019 at 07:45 AM.

Matt,

If you're after the finest in low and slow, you'll love flying a CC.

The aviation insurance industry is in transition now. Some carriers are dropping coverage on general aviation and rates are going up for all of GA.
    When I was quoted this year for my other single engine piston aircraft I thought the broker made a typo, as I have no claims, more hours in type, yet the rates are up. I have private, instrument, commercial, tailwheel.

The rates for my EX-2 (which I completed this year) were so high with my low tailwheel time (<100hrs), I am flying bare (no insurance coverage).
    I was looking at going with amphibious floats - and then coverage was astronomical when available.

I wonder what rates are people paying for coverage on their CC and how many are going bare?

Cheers!
    David

Matt
    My insurance use to run $2000 range. Now my SS on Amphibs is $2900. $210K. FX3 $5000 $325K both are insured for demo use so they went up from what I was paying. I have a Customer who is older they wanted $25k for the same 2 combination planes I’m flying so he just has liability on them. They don’t like floats till you get some time in them, I'm around 500hrs CC on floats. We were once quoted $7000 with 3 pilots with one pilot 0 time on floats and no one else would even quote it. It seem if you establish a relationship with Broker and underwriters you can get them to cooperate a little.
    I think chip told you about Charles. I sold a guy a SS we ferried it to charles, then he made 2 trips for a week each and got his sport License in his carbon cub. I went up and flew it home with him and he did great. I’d recommend him.
    chuck
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

I have AOPA AIG-NATIONAL UNION FIRE INSURANCE CO. OF PITTSBURGH, PA. With 29,000+ total hours, ATP- DC-10, 767, 757, 737, glider, CFIIAM, Flight Engineer, priv. Sea, 7,500 tail wheel, 250 in Make and Model. I have $230,000 hull, $1,000,000 liability each occurrence. The yearly premium is $2,950.00 ($2,700 is for the Hull). Up $300 this year from 2018. 2013 CC. There wasn't many choices between underwriters that were near reasonable.
    Last edited by Steve Y; 12-16-2019 at 05:43 PM.
    XCub: CCX-2300-0011
    SPOT X TRACKING: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/09SL