Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tailwheel PPL instruction and CC for first Plane....

Default Re: Tailwheel PPL instruction and CC for first Plane....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Y View Post
    I have AOPA AIG-NATIONAL UNION FIRE INSURANCE CO. OF PITTSBURGH, PA. With 29,000+ total hours, ATP- DC-10, 767, 757, 737, glider, CFIIAM, Flight Engineer, priv. Sea, 7,500 tail wheel, 250 in Make and Model. I have $230,000 hull, $1,000,000 liability each occurrence. The yearly premium is $2,950.00 ($2,700 is for the Hull). Up $300 this year from 2018. 2013 CC. There wasn't many choices between underwriters that were near reasonable.
    That rate could come down with more hours/experience. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post
    Matt
    My insurance use to run $2000 range. Now my SS on Amphibs is $2900. $210K. FX3 $5000 $325K both are insured for demo use so they went up from what I was paying. I have a Customer who is older they wanted $25k for the same 2 combination planes I’m flying so he just has liability on them. They don’t like floats till you get some time in them, I'm around 500hrs CC on floats. We were once quoted $7000 with 3 pilots with one pilot 0 time on floats and no one else would even quote it. It seem if you establish a relationship with Broker and underwriters you can get them to cooperate a little.
    I think chip told you about Charles. I sold a guy a SS we ferried it to charles, then he made 2 trips for a week each and got his sport License in his carbon cub. I went up and flew it home with him and he did great. I’d recommend him.
    chuck
    Thank you Chuck. What is the magic number of hours where you start to see a break?

Quote Originally Posted by Lostgriz View Post
    Thank you Chuck. What is the magic number of hours where you start to see a break?
    I don’t know I went from a PA11 I had 500hrs in it to a Sport cub put 500hrs in it, to a Carbon Cub now around 3500 hrs. In it. Insurance has never been bad for me. I just called insurance for a guy hadn’t flown since 1990 80TT and no Tailwheel. They had quoted him $10k on $150K hull value. Ended up getting it at $4700. I still feel a good relationship with the broker is key. IMHO
    chuck
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post
    I don’t know I went from a PA11 I had 500hrs in it to a Sport cub put 500hrs in it, to a Carbon Cub now around 3500 hrs. In it. Insurance has never been bad for me. I just called insurance for a guy hadn’t flown since 1990 80TT and no Tailwheel. They had quoted him $10k on $150K hull value. Ended up getting it at $4700. I still feel a good relationship with the broker is key. IMHO
    chuck
    Last year I paid $2749 for 200k. This year $4465. Got another quote for $7700. Is 38% increases the norm

Matt, what is going on here is that a recent Cubcrafters is worth $200K or more. So insurance rates are high, especially for lower total time, tailwheel time, or time in type.

To answer your other question, yes, a cub is a great airplane to learn to fly in. You should find a cheaper one to start with, rather than starting with a Cadillac. As you progress, you’ll need a few hours in a trainer with some radios and nav gear.

Have fun! It’s a wonderful journey.

john

Quote Originally Posted by lbell View Post
    Last year I paid $2749 for 200k. This year $4465. Got another quote for $7700. Is 38% increases the norm
    That’s about the amount of increase that I got quoted too in June. Mine went from about 1% Of hull valuation to 1.4%. I told them to forget it, that I’d self insure like I did the first five years I flew it.

The odd thing though was that the same broker quoted me a rate that was around $20 less for the year for my Cessna than I paid last year. I kept that policy.
    Last edited by Dan L; 08-16-2020 at 07:08 PM.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    That’s about the amount of increase that I got quoted too in June. Mine went from about 1% Of hull valuation to 1.4%. I told them to forget it, that I’d self insure like I did the first five years I flew it.

The odd thing though was that the same broker quoted me a rate that was around $20 less for the year for my Cessna than I paid last year. I kept that policy.
    mine calculates to 2.1%