Thread: Cubcrafters Cubs & IFR

Default Cubcrafters Cubs & IFR

Hi,

I recently moved to Alaska for work, have a pretty good 30 year career-type flying job and it has always been my dream to own a Cub or a Maule and fly around Alaska for fun (my work flying is mostly watching an autopilot and listening to the whine of four general electric motors for 10 hours at a time).

While, I could buy now, it would probably not be prudent to wipe out such a huge chuck of my life savings, especially given my current lack of hangar in which to store a new airplane. My plan is to save for 5 years, procure a T-hangar, and by something new around 2025. In the meantime I have a C182B to fly for fun out of Merrill.

My question on the FX3 (or any cubcrafters cub), being unfamiliar with Experimental aircraft, is it possible to fly it under instrument flight rules? It seems that if you equip an experiment as required by 91.205, the answer is yes, but I'm not sure. I understand that IFR is not really what a cub is meant for. However, in flying my 182 there are times when it is very nice to get a local IFR clearance on days when maintaining VFR cloud clearances or visibility would be "challenging". I would do the builder assist FX3, is the executive glass touch sufficient to satisfy 91.205 or would additional equipment be necessary? Maybe my IFR hangup is unwarranted, but I can't help but feel a huge safety net by having it available.

Obviously, my other dream plane, a Maule M7 or M9 is much heavier despite having a similar payload to an FX3, and I expect it would have double to triple the operating costs, the only benefit being extra seats, interior volume, and probably a 20-30 mph cruise speed advantage on the 235 or 260 hp models. Really, probably a waste unless I had some way to make money with it, as i don't see wanting a 3rd seat more than 1 in 20 or 30 fights.

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Cubcrafters Cubs & IFR

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhal747 View Post
    Hi,

I recently moved to Alaska for work, have a pretty good 30 year career-type flying job and it has always been my dream to own a Cub or a Maule and fly around Alaska for fun (my work flying is mostly watching an autopilot and listening to the whine of four general electric motors for 10 hours at a time).

While, I could buy now, it would probably not be prudent to wipe out such a huge chuck of my life savings, especially given my current lack of hangar in which to store a new airplane. My plan is to save for 5 years, procure a T-hangar, and by something new around 2025. In the meantime I have a C182B to fly for fun out of Merrill.

My question on the FX3 (or any cubcrafters cub), being unfamiliar with Experimental aircraft, is it possible to fly it under instrument flight rules? It seems that if you equip an experiment as required by 91.205, the answer is yes, but I'm not sure. I understand that IFR is not really what a cub is meant for. However, in flying my 182 there are times when it is very nice to get a local IFR clearance on days when maintaining VFR cloud clearances or visibility would be "challenging". I would do the builder assist FX3, is the executive glass touch sufficient to satisfy 91.205 or would additional equipment be necessary? Maybe my IFR hangup is unwarranted, but I can't help but feel a huge safety net by having it available.

Obviously, my other dream plane, a Maule M7 or M9 is much heavier despite having a similar payload to an FX3, and I expect it would have double to triple the operating costs, the only benefit being extra seats, interior volume, and probably a 20-30 mph cruise speed advantage on the 235 or 260 hp models. Really, probably a waste unless I had some way to make money with it, as i don't see wanting a 3rd seat more than 1 in 20 or 30 fights.

Thanks in advance
    Welcome. Your correct for ifr in experimental. If both you and the aircraft are capable, your good. That said you do need some redundancy to fit the rule so the G3x while capable, needs a back up as does your com. Many we build have a gtn650 or maybe a 625 or 635. We then add a remote com, heated pitot and a G5. This satisfies then the equipment rule. As you say, many want to get out and on top. Cubs are not for hard ifr but a marine layer is doable, early am fog etc.

as for the Maule, good plane and different mission. Fly them both if you need, Cubs can do stol ops you may not accomplish with the other. I’d like to own one of everything myself. Hit me up if I can help further and I invite you to visit us at the factor for a tour of what we do. Thank you Mark
    Cub Crafters
    Factory Direct New & Used Aircraft Sales
    NorthEast & Great Lakes Region

Default Re: Cubcrafters Cubs & IFR

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Keneston View Post
    Welcome. Your correct for ifr in experimental. If both you and the aircraft are capable, your good. That said you do need some redundancy to fit the rule so the G3x while capable, needs a back up as does your com. Many we build have a gtn650 or maybe a 625 or 635. We then add a remote com, heated pitot and a G5. This satisfies then the equipment rule. As you say, many want to get out and on top. Cubs are not for hard ifr but a marine layer is doable, early am fog etc.

as for the Maule, good plane and different mission. Fly them both if you need, Cubs can do stol ops you may not accomplish with the other. I’d like to own one of everything myself. Hit me up if I can help further and I invite you to visit us at the factor for a tour of what we do. Thank you Mark
    Thank you very much Mark, I appreciate the answers.