Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: General Cover Questions

Default Re: General Cover Questions

Starting to cover the wings. I have seen various fillers used in places like the extended cargo door. The transition from the first and second leading edge skins ended with a 3/64 inch gap in one place. Will tape and fabric mask the small gap? Or would I need to take the time to feather it out with a filler.

5F82D418-B84D-4D76-B7B6-DBAC528E74CC.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim Morrical

Make sure the thickness is not larger that the strut attachment. If it slides on fine with the fabric plus paint, no issue with fabric there.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorrical View Post
    There were clear cautions to glue these areas well with Poly-Tak as fabric was put down. Now that Iím heading to paint soon how much fabric on the strut attach and stabilizer brace wire fitting and should I cut back? Or none?

Attachment 10878

Attachment 10879

I put chafing tape there before I covered. No filler.

Starting to cover the wings. I have seen various fillers used in places like the extended cargo door. The transition from the first and second leading edge skins ended with a 3/64 inch gap in one place. Will tape and fabric mask the small gap? Or would I need to take the time to feather it out with a filler.

jim. Thatís a gap but you should be able to take 1Ē wide chafe tape and run it the full length of that seem. Do it to all of the over laps. When you do the shrink on the fabric, this likely pulls in. Also cover the tops and bottoms of the tail ribs that are not full ribs. These end at a sharp point. Any hi points need to be checked. Also run your fingers over anything that touches fabric. Welding spray slag and other slag that can punch holes in fabric. You want the finish to be smooth and nice Thanks MK
    Cub Crafters
    Factory Direct New & Used Aircraft Sales
    NorthEast & Great Lakes Region