Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: General Cover Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default General Cover Questions

How am I to finish the inboard ends of the leading and trailing edge tubes on the horizontal stabilizers? Razor cut to the edge of the tube or pink the edges?

61C0B70C-F17D-443E-9BB9-B153D3D37528.jpeg

ACC984E2-EDC4-449C-A353-2AC5C25ACD7C.jpeg
    Jim Morrical

Default Re: General Cover Questions

Glue it down good and razor cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
    Glue it down good and razor cut it.
    I think most here would agree that exposed edges should be pinked o eliminate fray ad strings or snakes in your covering that can show up later in paint stages. MK
    Cub Crafters
    Factory Direct New & Used Aircraft Sales
    NorthEast & Great Lakes Region

The fuselage cover is glued to longerons, windows and door have not been cut out and glued yet. I have only shrunk the bottom fabric. The stabilizer tube link inside at the trim assembly is pushing against the fabric as you would expect. I know a reinforcement and patch will go over that area at some point. When do I put a relief cut there to allow the fabric to seek it's natural line? Do I shrink 250 then free it or free it before I do any shrink shrink?

Bjcb0zaiRPSoGoeetbqbsQ copy.jpg

N0TlYGihSvGw5glHODOAjw copy.jpg
    Last edited by jmorrical; 02-08-2020 at 08:23 PM.
    Jim Morrical

Jim, something isn’t right. There should be no protrusion there. Did you insert the tube that goes through the trim tube at the yoke there or something? That tube (the yoke of the trim motor attachment) is well inside the fuselage tubes and nowhere close to protruding out though to touch the fabric. It looks like it’s almost 1/2” inside the fabric.

The fabric should not touch there and you would simply put the grommet and patch in that location.....paint the fuse and not cut that fabric out until your are ready to install the stabilizer.

3CF4A924-BD3F-4E61-BDB2-CC842DCC999E.jpg

E4BA72B5-2B01-4FC6-9C2B-8F8C39BC3BBA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jmorrical View Post
    The fuselage cover is glued to longerons, windows and door have not been cut out and glued yet. I have only shrunk the bottom fabric. The stabilizer tube link inside at the trim assembly is pushing against the fabric as you would expect. I know a reinforcement and patch will go over that area at some point. When do I put a relief cut there to allow the fabric to seek it's natural line? Do I shrink 250 then free it or free it before I do any shrink shrink?

Bjcb0zaiRPSoGoeetbqbsQ copy.jpg

N0TlYGihSvGw5glHODOAjw copy.jpg
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Elev.PNG

Here is a picture of what I did before tapes. You could pinked it, but it would be very difficult to cut straight around that tight radius as the cutting needs to be done with it tight on the frame. Gluing all around is the key to controlling the fray. The pinked tape will go on top. Never had any issues.

Cubcrafters says pink so give that a try but it did not give me the results I wanted. The nice thing about the internet is everyone has a different answer and it makes it hard to choose.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
    Elev.PNG

Here is a picture of what I did before tapes. You could pinked it, but it would be very difficult to cut straight around that tight radius as the cutting needs to be done with it tight on the frame. Gluing all around is the key to controlling the fray. The pinked tape will go on top. Never had any issues.

Cubcrafters says pink so give that a try but it did not give me the results I wanted. The nice thing about the internet is everyone has a different answer and it makes it hard to choose.
    Also recognize which side is top and or bottom. Trace a line at the leading edge and measure out 1.5" draw the same line and cut on with pinking shears should give you the desired line finished. MK
    Cub Crafters

Dave, I am building an EX so there could be a difference. I hope there is a difference! My link seems a bit longer than yours. I was finally able to get a photo but can’t get it to rotate to a normal view. It clearly protrudes past the stringer just a bit. It looks exactly like figure drawings and part #s in the EX Manual.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jmorrical; 02-09-2020 at 12:33 PM.
    Jim Morrical

Oh OK. I’m not familiar with the EX so maybe someone else can jump in on this one. I know the EX2 and 3’s but my thoughts would be that you would do the first shrink at 250, cut it out and then do the final shrink just like you would do on the fuel tank cap on standard fuel tanks. The first shrink gets it into position and then the final shrink gets it tight after the cut.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorrical View Post
    Dave, I am building an EX so there could be a difference. I hope there is a difference! My link seems a bit longer than yours. I'm sorry I can't get a photo to post, but it clearly protrudes put past the stringer just a bit.
    Last edited by Daveembry; 02-08-2020 at 09:34 PM.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    Oh OK. I’m not familiar with the EX so maybe someone else can jump in on this one. I know the EX2 and 3’s but my thoughts would be that you would do the first shrink at 250, cut it out and then do the final shrink just like you would do on the fuel tank cap on standard fuel tanks. The first shrink gets it into position and then the final shrink gets it tight after the cut.

agree with Dave the yoke tube looks to be protruding. I’d verify that part and the #. I also should think you will want leave it closed if possible and cut it after paint.
    Cub Crafters