Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: General Cover Questions

Default General Cover Questions

How am I to finish the inboard ends of the leading and trailing edge tubes on the horizontal stabilizers? Razor cut to the edge of the tube or pink the edges?

61C0B70C-F17D-443E-9BB9-B153D3D37528.jpeg

ACC984E2-EDC4-449C-A353-2AC5C25ACD7C.jpeg
    Jim Morrical

Default Re: General Cover Questions

Glue it down good and razor cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
    Glue it down good and razor cut it.
    I think most here would agree that exposed edges should be pinked o eliminate fray ad strings or snakes in your covering that can show up later in paint stages. MK
    Cub Crafters
    Factory Direct New & Used Aircraft Sales
    NorthEast & Great Lakes Region

Elev.PNG

Here is a picture of what I did before tapes. You could pinked it, but it would be very difficult to cut straight around that tight radius as the cutting needs to be done with it tight on the frame. Gluing all around is the key to controlling the fray. The pinked tape will go on top. Never had any issues.

Cubcrafters says pink so give that a try but it did not give me the results I wanted. The nice thing about the internet is everyone has a different answer and it makes it hard to choose.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
    Elev.PNG

Here is a picture of what I did before tapes. You could pinked it, but it would be very difficult to cut straight around that tight radius as the cutting needs to be done with it tight on the frame. Gluing all around is the key to controlling the fray. The pinked tape will go on top. Never had any issues.

Cubcrafters says pink so give that a try but it did not give me the results I wanted. The nice thing about the internet is everyone has a different answer and it makes it hard to choose.
    Also recognize which side is top and or bottom. Trace a line at the leading edge and measure out 1.5" draw the same line and cut on with pinking shears should give you the desired line finished. MK
    Cub Crafters

I need suggestions on rudder cover. Fitting my rudder envelope was frustrating. It seems to me the envelope was not cut and sewn to fit the aggressive curve on the rudder tip. It took four tries to get the seam close to the tube. After giving up thinking this was the best fit I could get and I end up with an almost 1/4" fold at the 90 degree corner when glueing started.

Suggestions?

fullsizeoutput_2059.jpg

fullsizeoutput_205e.jpg

fullsizeoutput_205b.jpg
    Jim Morrical

Jim. that should shrink out. Take your hobby iron and with one hand, pull the fabric over so it’s not overlapping so much and then start shrinking with the iron in that area. It will come out believe it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorrical View Post
    I need suggestions on rudder cover. Fitting my rudder envelope was frustrating. It seems to me the envelope was not cut and sewn to fit the aggressive curve on the rudder tip. It took four tries to get the seam close to the tube. After giving up thinking this was the best fit I could get and I end up with an almost 1/4" fold at the 90 degree corner when glueing started.

Suggestions?

fullsizeoutput_2059.jpg

fullsizeoutput_205e.jpg

fullsizeoutput_205b.jpg
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

In the end I got my problem worked out.

The solution didn't give me any comfort at first. There was a whole lot of slack material in that little triangular section. There was a whole lot of multi directional tension on the material. It didn't lay well because the envelope radius seemed wrong.
    • First step was to pull glued fabric off the tubes in the area of the doubled fold
    • The fold was distributed as much as possible across the first few inches of the main tube
    • Then I pulled the envelope seam outboard taking out more of the slack material. The seam was 1/4" inch off the radius of frame tube. Mitch's rudder video suggested the seam should fit pretty well around the radius...not my experience. fitting it there is what gave me problems with it.
    • With aggressive shrinking it pulled together.

I didn't think it would shrink out but in the end it did.
    Jim Morrical

What is the current thinking on how to install the fuselage fabric at the fabric spacers forward. The Mitch's fuselage cover vides shows continuing fabric forward of the fabric spacers, but it seems some have glued fabric to the forward edge of the fabric spacers and ended it there. Here are different examples.

DSC_0006.jpg
    Fabric extended forward of the spacer

IMG_2562.jpg
    Fabric ended at the spacer

If I ended at the spacer how much of a glue line should I use?
    Jim Morrical

Quote Originally Posted by jmorrical View Post
    What is the current thinking on how to install the fuselage fabric at the fabric spacers forward. The Mitch's fuselage cover vides shows continuing fabric forward of the fabric spacers, but it seems some have glued fabric to the forward edge of the fabric spacers and ended it there. Here are different examples.

DSC_0006.jpg
    Fabric extended forward of the spacer

IMG_2562.jpg
    Fabric ended at the spacer

If I ended at the spacer how much of a glue line should I use?
    I ended mine on the tube on front edge of the space and I wrapped the tube as far as we could reach. If you ran the fabric ahead, that could provide an extra barrier for draft etc. my 2 cents
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cub Crafters