Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: General Cover Questions

Default Re: General Cover Questions

I'm ready to paint, but I have one more cover question.

Have 3 X 3 gear with AOSS: Do I cover the 3 X 3 gear or not?
    I have seen both covered and non covered. Why choose one over the other? Is it just preference or would some say it's for an operational reason?
    Jim Morrical

I did not cover mine as I do occasionally fly off of unimproved airstrips. The idea being that gravel, rocks, general debris on unimproved airstrips can come off the tires and damage the covering. I also like the naked look, plus; one less thing to cover and paint!

If your flying is mostly asphalt or grass, then you could cover them.

I think you also get a little less drag if the gear is covered.
    Last edited by aeroaddict; 10-13-2020 at 06:56 AM.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Obviously my experience is extremely limited but on my FX3 I'm planning on uncovered. I like the look but when I did my training in a sport cub that had uncovered gear it was easier to stand next to the cockpit to look in, load whatever, etc. It just seems like covered gear may inhibit access slightly. I'm listening here as well as I have time before this decision has to be final for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hawgdrvr View Post
    Obviously my experience is extremely limited but on my FX3 I'm planning on uncovered. I like the look but when I did my training in a sport cub that had uncovered gear it was easier to stand next to the cockpit to look in, load whatever, etc. It just seems like covered gear may inhibit access slightly. I'm listening here as well as I have time before this decision has to be final for me.
    it’s certainly an individual choice. Covered gear is faster through the air but more susceptible to damage. Rocks, debris and of course those who step on it. I’ve even dropped a tool on one of the covered legs and cracked my beautiful urethane paint. With uncovered gear, you may prefer stainless and or braided brake lines also. It’s your call. Mine are uncovered, white urethane paint and 3m clear tape on the leading edge to prevent rock chips. Run what ya brung! Have fun and fly on.... Yankee1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cub Crafters
    Factory Direct New & Used Aircraft Sales
    NorthEast & Great Lakes Region

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Keneston View Post
    ...white urethane paint and 3m clear tape on the leading edge to prevent rock chips...
    Great suggestion! Thanks

73C2D28B-AECD-4435-BE3B-8D35609C0E2F.jpg

I like bare. Changing to skis would be more of a bear with the legs covered for one reason. And more so with the straight skis because I pull the brakes.

Also it is easier to inspect the gear, step up to fuel with jugs or bags, clean the windscreen.

That said, a friend who flies like I do just had his PA18 recovered and he covered the legs.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Jim I covered all the ones I built just a personal choice
    EV

As I mentioned I am ready for paint. I'm starting with tail feathers and have found a couple places where taped edges are turned up a bit more than is acceptable. Truthfully as I did more fabric work my skills improved and work got cleaner / better. Now I'm starting with the first covered tail feathers and I see places that could be better. Might be too late?

Someone mentioned as a last chance using a teflon material and the hobby iron to get poly spray tape edges smoothed a little bit. Could someone tell me what teflon material might be used? Where to get it and how it is used? Does the method work to touch up a few rough edges on tapes here and there.

Jim Morrical
    Last edited by jmorrical; 10-15-2020 at 10:21 PM.
    Jim Morrical

Quote Originally Posted by jmorrical View Post
    As I mentioned I am ready for paint. I'm starting with tail feathers and have found a couple places where taped edges are turned up a bit more than is acceptable. Truthfully as I did more fabric work my skills improved and work got cleaner / better. Now I'm starting with the first covered tail feathers and I see places that could be better. Might be too late?

Someone mentioned as a last chance using a teflon material and the hobby iron to get poly spray tape edges smoothed a little bit. Could someone tell me what teflon material might be used? Where to get it and how it is used? Does the method work to touch up a few rough edges on tapes here and there.

Jim Morrical
    hi again
    i will suggest you get a 1st square piece of wax paper from your kitchen pantry and use this between your fabric and your iron at the lower 250 setting. You will slide the wax paper while moving the iron down the edge of a tape that may be lifted. I make it a practice to do all tapes or at minimum feel them to be sure none are lifted. Tapes, trim rings all of it. It’s worth the effort. Call anytime 518-410-9404. Yankee 1
    Cub Crafters
    Factory Direct New & Used Aircraft Sales
    NorthEast & Great Lakes Region

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Keneston View Post
    hi again
    i will suggest you get a 1st square piece of wax paper from your kitchen pantry and use this between your fabric and your iron at the lower 250 setting. You will slide the wax paper while moving the iron down the edge of a tape that may be lifted. I make it a practice to do all tapes or at minimum feel them to be sure none are lifted. Tapes, trim rings all of it. It’s worth the effort. Call anytime 518-410-9404. Yankee 1

I believe you meant Parchment paper.