Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: General Cover Questions

Default Re: General Cover Questions

Quote Originally Posted by PTB View Post
    Working on stabilizer. I cannot tell from video or drawings how the inboard tubes used for mouting the stabilizers are finished. I see Mitch glue the fabric around the back side of the aft tube, so I assume those tubes are supposed to be covered. But not clear to me how to do that. Can somebody post a picture?

Thanks,
    Phil
    Hi there it's easiest to match the tapes on the front edge and back edge so they are uniform. Wherever the fabric overlaps, you will tape. On that type that attaches the front edge of the stab to the yoke, you can start the fabric back just alittle from the whole end. Fold the tape in half and cut the end of the tape in a half moon or a string hr cut will work. When you unfold the tape, it has a nice radius on it. Now tak it down and let it sit and then start pulling the tape along the leading edge of the stab. Hopefully your overlap seems are on the bottom of the surface when installed on the plane. You can use the iron and as you pull on the tape, heat form it at 250 degrees along the leading edge of the stab. You will learn to love heat forming tapes. It helps a lot. Call or text me if ya get hung up. Mark 518-410-9404
    Cub Crafters
    Factory Direct New & Used Aircraft Sales
    NorthEast & Great Lakes Region

Dave, thank you. I have read your posts on covering the tailfeathers several times and found the very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Keneston View Post
    Hi there it's easiest to match the tapes on the front edge and back edge so they are uniform. Wherever the fabric overlaps, you will tape. On that type that attaches the front edge of the stab to the yoke, you can start the fabric back just alittle from the whole end. Fold the tape in half and cut the end of the tape in a half moon or a string hr cut will work. When you unfold the tape, it has a nice radius on it. Now tak it down and let it sit and then start pulling the tape along the leading edge of the stab. Hopefully your overlap seems are on the bottom of the surface when installed on the plane. You can use the iron and as you pull on the tape, heat form it at 250 degrees along the leading edge of the stab. You will learn to love heat forming tapes. It helps a lot. Call or text me if ya get hung up. Mark 518-410-9404
    Thank you, Mark. Do you know where I can find a picture of a covered stabilizer showing the forward inboard corner where that front tube sticks out?

Phil

elevator.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by PTB View Post
    Troy, I found your pre-tape photo. When you taped, where did you end the leading edge tape. Did it extend all the way to the inboard end of the tube?
    I think this is missing the spot you want. I can take a picture of that tonight when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
    elevator.jpg

I think this is missing the spot you want. I can take a picture of that tonight when I get home.
    Troy, that would be terrific. I sure appreciate it.

Phil

This should be the spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s it. Thank you, Troy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]