Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: General Cover Questions

Default Re: General Cover Questions

Hi Jim,

I know you are a member of our Carbon Cub EX Builders group on facebook. I have several hours of videos on covering and show using a piece of teflon to iron poly spray tape edges, etc. I would recommend watching these.

You can get teflon sheets for “almost free” on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Teflon-Sheet-...=teflon&sr=8-5

I usually really go over everything very good before putting on the poly spray. You can use a cooler iron to go over all the taped edges after your last coat of poly brush. Usually there is very little lifting of the edges after that with the poly spray but sometimes it does happen if there isn’t much brush on the edges.

Q
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorrical View Post
    As I mentioned I am ready for paint. I'm starting with tail feathers and have found a couple places where taped edges are turned up a bit more than is acceptable. Truthfully as I did more fabric work my skills improved and work got cleaner / better. Now I'm starting with the first covered tail feathers and I see places that could be better. Might be too late?

Someone mentioned as a last chance using a teflon material and the hobby iron to get poly spray tape edges smoothed a little bit. Could someone tell me what teflon material might be used? Where to get it and how it is used? Does the method work to touch up a few rough edges on tapes here and there.

Jim Morrical
    Last edited by Daveembry; 10-16-2020 at 05:43 AM.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Jim Morrical[/QUOTE] if you will call me at 256-310-3806 I will explain how t do that
    EV

Quote Originally Posted by kevestes View Post
    I believe you meant Parchment paper.
    Yes sir Parchment Paper is correct
    Cub Crafters
    Factory Direct New & Used Aircraft Sales
    NorthEast & Great Lakes Region

Cover question: Poly Fiber manual recommends using 1/2 x .016 aluminum washers under fabric rivets “for best results.” Has anybody done that. Like results? Any downside?

Interesting. I never noticed this. Wonder what PolyFiber would say? This from Rev 21, Pg. 43 of their manual like you said:

Other Mechanical Attachments:
    Pop Rivets
    Fabric pop rivets are special broad head rivets sold by aircraft supply houses specifically for use on metal ribs. DO NOT attempt to use the hardware store variety!
    Start with the reinforcing tape, as with rib lacing, and use the same spacing. If an existing rivet hole is wallowed out or damaged, drill a new hole half an inch or so away. For best results use a 12 ̋ diameter .016 ̋ aluminum washer under each rivet. Plastic washers tend to crack and fail with age.
    Pop rivets are easy to install, but they’re a real pain to drill out at re-covering time.

Seems to me the rivet CubCrafters offers in kits is quite adequate and we add reinforcing tapes too. I'd bet nobody does this.

IMG_2413.jpg

Jim Morrical

Quote Originally Posted by jmorrical View Post
    Interesting. I never noticed this. Wonder what PolyFiber would say? This from Rev 21, Pg. 43 of their manual like you said:

Other Mechanical Attachments:
    Pop Rivets
    Fabric pop rivets are special broad head rivets sold by aircraft supply houses specifically for use on metal ribs. DO NOT attempt to use the hardware store variety!
    Start with the reinforcing tape, as with rib lacing, and use the same spacing. If an existing rivet hole is wallowed out or damaged, drill a new hole half an inch or so away. For best results use a 12 ̋ diameter .016 ̋ aluminum washer under each rivet. Plastic washers tend to crack and fail with age.
    Pop rivets are easy to install, but they’re a real pain to drill out at re-covering time.

Seems to me the rivet CubCrafters offers in kits is quite adequate and we add reinforcing tapes too. I'd bet nobody does this.

IMG_2413.jpg

Jim the CC rivets are very sufficient. Mark the wholes with a sharpie, add the reinforcement tape and then melt holes with soldering iron. Add rivets and your ready for finish tapes with generous poly brush to
    Prevent air bubbles around rivets

MK
    Cub Crafters
    Factory Direct New & Used Aircraft Sales
    NorthEast & Great Lakes Region

Working on stabilizer. I cannot tell from video or drawings how the inboard tubes used for mouting the stabilizers are finished. I see Mitch glue the fabric around the back side of the aft tube, so I assume those tubes are supposed to be covered. But not clear to me how to do that. Can somebody post a picture?

Thanks,
    Phil

Troy, I found your pre-tape photo. When you taped, where did you end the leading edge tape. Did it extend all the way to the inboard end of the tube?

Troy, I found your pre-tape photo. When you taped, where did you end the leading edge tape. Did it extend all the way to the inboard end of the tube?

Quote Originally Posted by PTB View Post
    Working on stabilizer. I cannot tell from video or drawings how the inboard tubes used for mouting the stabilizers are finished. I see Mitch glue the fabric around the back side of the aft tube, so I assume those tubes are supposed to be covered. But not clear to me how to do that. Can somebody post a picture?

Thanks,
    Phil
    Hi Phil,

I have some info on the thread on the tail feathers. Check it out here http://forum.cubcrafters.com/showthr...ll=1#post21715

I know the CC video does not show finishing out the fabric around the tube ends. I just leave the fabric out long all the way past the end of the tube and then just razor it off flush with the end of the tube.

The tape locations are shown in the cover manual in detail but I put all the ones over the ribs first and use straight scissors to cut them in the center of the curved side of the tube. You'll notice on the tail pieces that the rivets on each side is different (doesn't align) with the rivets on the other side so the tape won't wrap around in 1 piece. Just butt joint each tape (use straight scissors) in the center of the tubes. Then put the tapes on the outside tubes last.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..