Thread: Northern passage, eastbound

Default Northern passage, eastbound

I'm writing to ask area pilots for some advice on a route from the Astoria area eastbound through the mountains ... looking at the sectionals, there appears to be a flyable route for an antique Cub but I'd really like to hear from those of you who fly into northern Idaho, Montana and the Dakotas. My fuel is standard Cub 12 gallons with an 85HP engine ... 2 hours and I want to be looking at an airport. I have plenty of time to get where I'm going. Don't worry, I'm not going to hold you to anything but I'd like some pointers. My mountain flying has only been in the Appalachians ... all those times I've crossed the Rockies at flight levels doesn't count for much ... Thanks.

Default Re: Northern passage, eastbound

I can't weigh in on the route part, but I know once you have a route in mind I have used Google Earth to see what terrain looks like in areas I haven't flown, before I go fly there. Really gives you a good look at what the terrain will look like.

Pete D

Are you talking following the Columbia river from Astoria through the Gorge to the eastern WA and OR?

For what it's worth, the lowest crossing of the Rockies north of New Mexico is Marias Pass in northern Montana -- US Highway 2 between Kalispell and Cut Bank, and the route of the old Great Northern Railroad. It also marks the southern boundary of Glacier National Park, and it's a spectacular route.
    Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180

Running eastbound, I was OK with my planning until I got east of The Dalles ... don't know whether to turn left or right but I had picked (sorta) the route through Maria's Pass just on the basis of the topography ... adding the scenery, I'm leaning in that direction. Any pilots who have flown the route: I'd sure like some more information on desirable/flyable shortcuts and so on. There's no substitute for firsthand information. Thanks.

You have a few choices...the safest is probably I-90 to Missoula, then NE up the Bitterroot River Valley and over the Mountains at Rogers' Pass (5600') onto the Prairie. You have the interstate below you or just a little which doesn't have some open prairie or parkland. Fuel at Missoula or one of the surrounding airports...then fuel again at Gt. Falls with a possible intermediate stop at Lincoln (no fuel). I have flown that route frequently.

North of there is the Marias route...was there two months ago. Beautiful scenery but it is a little tighter valley with less emergency landing areas.

If you are heading to the Dakotas... fly down the Missouri River from Great Falls...stop by if you have the time. Winifred, MT (9S7). Ralph

Gentlemen, I truly appreciate your comments. Google Earth and sectional charts are my good friends when planning a flight such as this but nothing compares to firsthand information from pilots who have been over the territory. Safety is, of course, my first concern and the more options I have to ensure that, the better. Thank you and please let me know more as you think of it.

Regards

Alex

Alex, I see you're from Florida. If that's your ultimate destination you might consider coming up the Columbia gorge, then just follow I-84 to the Salt Lake city area, then turn east over I-80. It may not be the lowest point as others have pointed out but you have freeway below you the whole way, and it gets you across the Rockies in a more SE direction. Besides, you're likely to get smokin tailwinds when headed East across Wyoming.
    Randy Lervold

if you stop in Lewistown MT i will make sure you get a hot meal.
    I have flown over the Rockies many times. you will have no trouble getting over them it is a matter of what you want to see. Glacier National park is really beautiful from the air. the next pass to the south takes you over Missoula mt. ferther to the south is Boise ID and Bozeman MT. Further yet is the I80 corridor that you can see the grand Tetons to your far Left.

I should be a tour guide for the northern hemisphere

Noel

One of the real pleasures of being retired is that I don't have to be anywhere on a schedule. That cuts down on some of the pressures of decision-making. When I bought my last Cub in Dodge City KS in late 2001, the trip across the eastern half of the country was a real pleasure. Right after 9/11 it seemed like a lot of people I met were just glad to see a hint that things were coming back closer to the normal we used to know. I've always wanted to cross the country low and slow and I hope this comes to pass. Thanks again for your hints and advice and I'll keep you posted as to how it's going. Keep the ideas coming! If you think of something, please let me know.

The route of flight will take me to western North Carolina unless an old friend joins me and in that case we'll go all the way to the Wilmington NC coastal area. I can backtrack a little to make that happen.