Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CC SS over gross

Default CC SS over gross

So i am new to this forum and i have not spent the time to see if this topic is "alive" some place else, if so i apologize. I sold my 170B and I am looking at a cub type plane to replace it. My question is what is the "real world" reality of owning a LSA CC. I weigh 210 and by my calculations with full fuel I would be at or just over gross, throw in some camping gear and my dog, and i am definitely going to be over gross. the plane will obviously fly but my question is am i going to get busted? If I wreck it is my insurance company going to deny my claim? thanks for the feed back.

Default Re: CC SS over gross

Quote Originally Posted by sconlin View Post
    So i am new to this forum and i have not spent the time to see if this topic is "alive" some place else, if so i apologize. I sold my 170B and I am looking at a cub type plane to replace it. My question is what is the "real world" reality of owning a LSA CC. I weigh 210 and by my calculations with full fuel I would be at or just over gross, throw in some camping gear and my dog, and i am definitely going to be over gross. the plane will obviously fly but my question is am i going to get busted? If I wreck it is my insurance company going to deny my claim? thanks for the feed back.
    I owned a CC SS for six years and tried very hard never to overload it but realistically it's pretty hard to stay in the envelope especially if you're going on a trip. In the end I decided to change to the FX-3 with a 900lb useful load so I could stop worrying about it and I'm loving it.

Will you be busted? Who knows; but here in New Zealand it's not likely unless or until something goes wrong. If the accident inspector gets called in then our guys will work it out pretty rapidly and I'd bet that prosecution and insurance problems would be pretty sure to follow on.

CC make some great aircraft that would fit your mission profile and leave lots of capacity in reserve. If you're worried about weight issues now then I'd guess LSA is not the way to go but as always YMMV
    Bob Gray, FX-3 #38, ZK-FXC

Quote Originally Posted by kiwibob View Post
    I owned a CC SS for six years and tried very hard never to overload it but realistically it's pretty hard to stay in the envelope especially if you're going on a trip. In the end I decided to change to the FX-3 with a 900lb useful load so I could stop worrying about it and I'm loving it.

Will you be busted? Who knows; but here in New Zealand it's not likely unless or until something goes wrong. If the accident inspector gets called in then our guys will work it out pretty rapidly and I'd bet that prosecution and insurance problems would be pretty sure to follow on.

CC make some great aircraft that would fit your mission profile and leave lots of capacity in reserve. If you're worried about weight issues now then I'd guess LSA is not the way to go but as always YMMV
    Bob, thank you so much for your reply. It's kind of what i figured, and i realized after i posted the question it was unlikely any one was going to admit to breaking FAR's on a public forum. The main reason I asked is that there a bunch of carbon ss's for sale and not many ex's or fx's. but you are right I just need to wait for the right plane to show up. BTW i grew up and Devonport and spent all my holidays on the Croromandel. I have actually flown off Port Jackson beach in a 180. I can't think of a better place to own a carbon cub. Thanks again.

https://www.facebook.com/dave.embry1...14760315940756. Here ya go.

Quote Originally Posted by sconlin View Post
    Bob, thank you so much for your reply. It's kind of what i figured, and i realized after i posted the question it was unlikely any one was going to admit to breaking FAR's on a public forum. The main reason I asked is that there a bunch of carbon ss's for sale and not many ex's or fx's. but you are right I just need to wait for the right plane to show up. BTW i grew up and Devonport and spent all my holidays on the Croromandel. I have actually flown off Port Jackson beach in a 180. I can't think of a better place to own a carbon cub. Thanks again.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    yep Dave, I have been drooling over your plane ever since you listed it.....

Give me a call if you'd like to chat. I am the Dealer responsible for Colorado, and I can relay my experiences with both SS's and FX3's.
    Rick

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    CubCrafters Dealer for AZ/NM/UT/CO/southern WY
    www.suncountrycubs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bosshardt View Post
    Give me a call if you'd like to chat. I am the Dealer responsible for Colorado, and I can relay my experiences with both SS's and FX3's.
    Rick
    thanks Rick, i will give you a call..

Best way to learn whether your policy excludes coverage if you fly over gross is to read it. You can also ask your broker or carrier.
    For what it's worth, I've never seen a policy that excludes coverage for flying over gross, or doing something that could be characterized as negligent or even stupid.
    Never seen anybody "busted" for flying a light sport Carbon Cub over gross. Have seen FAA check rides in Carbon Cubs that were over gross, with no issues. The fact that an "over gross" light sport Carbon Cub takes off in under 100 ft. and climbs at over 1,500 fpm may have something to do with that (and those are conservative numbers).

Quote Originally Posted by John Hodges View Post
    Best way to learn whether your policy excludes coverage if you fly over gross is to read it. You can also ask your broker or carrier.
    For what it's worth, I've never seen a policy that excludes coverage for flying over gross, or doing something that could be characterized as negligent or even stupid.
    Never seen anybody "busted" for flying a light sport Carbon Cub over gross. Have seen FAA check rides in Carbon Cubs that were over gross, with no issues. The fact that an "over gross" light sport Carbon Cub takes off in under 100 ft. and climbs at over 1,500 fpm may have something to do with that (and those are conservative numbers).
    Thanks John, that helps me with my decision....now i just need to adjust my budget. I started out at a 100k for a really sweet tricked out 170, then i went to 150k for a super cub, now i am going to be pushing 200k for a Carbon Cub.... but you do mostly get what you pay for and i see the carbon cubs holding their value better than the others.....so there you see I already justified spending an extra 100k with out any input from any one else....

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bosshardt View Post
    Rick
    Rick could you send me your number i couldn't find it on the web site. Thanks