Thread: Wing build questions

Default Wing build questions

I have a couple of wing build detail questions I would like to throw out to the CC community. I will also attach photos to help explain.
    1. #2 Main rib bracing. I noticed when I measured out the measurements called for in the manual that the bracing location inconveniently landed on a pre installed rivet head. Should I move the bracing forward/aft or up/down to accommodate this? I wouldn't think that this is a super critical location.
    2. False rib rivet location. The manual calls for the first rivet from the false rib on to the nose rib at .25" forward of the forward spar face. If I do this it lines itself up with one of the hydroforming cutouts. Should I just move the rivet forward of the cutout to make sure I have 2x rivet clearance from the edge?
    3. Bottom cap strip #1 rib. The manual states that the installation is the same as the top cap strip. Does this also mean the you need to align the outboard edge of the cap strip with the outboard edge of the rib, as per the top one? Does it matter? Can it be centered? If I align it to the outboard edge it puts one of the rivets really close to the rib webbing and the other one close to the inboard edge.

I'm working on posting the pics that support this question.

Thanks
    Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CdPea; 11-17-2019 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Added Pics

Default Re: Wing build questions

Hi Chris. If you haven’t used it yet, may I suggest you check out my thread on building the planes at

http://forum.cubcrafters.com/showthr...p-Hints/page16

All these questions are answered in detail there. Go to post #1 to start and #2 for an index.

The #2 rib bracing is only to support that rib until the fabric is shrunk and no other structural importance according to Mitch so just move it over a bit to miss the rivet. The other questions are well documented I think. If not, just let me know and I’ll try to clarify.

good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by CdPea View Post
    I have a couple of wing build detail questions I would like to throw out to the CC community. I will also attach photos to help explain.
    1. #2 Main rib bracing. I noticed when I measured out the measurements called for in the manual that the bracing location inconveniently landed on a pre installed rivet head. Should I move the bracing forward/aft or up/down to accommodate this? I wouldn't think that this is a super critical location.
    2. False rib rivet location. The manual calls for the first rivet from the false rib on to the nose rib at .25" forward of the forward spar face. If I do this it lines itself up with one of the hydroforming cutouts. Should I just move the rivet forward of the cutout to make sure I have 2x rivet clearance from the edge?
    3. Bottom cap strip #1 rib. The manual states that the installation is the same as the top cap strip. Does this also mean the you need to align the outboard edge of the cap strip with the outboard edge of the rib, as per the top one? Does it matter? Can it be centered? If I align it to the outboard edge it puts one of the rivets really close to the rib webbing and the other one close to the inboard edge.

I'm working on posting the pics that support this question.

Thanks
    Chris
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..