Thread: Cont. O-200D

Default Cont. O-200D

Does anyone know if the Cubcrafters plan on going to the Cont. 0-200D LSA engine? It would shave about 15 pounds off of the plane and because of the high compression ratio it should tolerate 100LL a lot better. The O-200A are built for 80/87 which is good as long as you can find it but 100LL causes lead fouling of the exhaust valves, loss of compression and the need to fix thing$.
    The "D" engine is already in service with a number of other aircraft (I will not mention whom) so there is no reason why CC can't go the same route. Rogue

Default Re: Cont. O-200D

No plan to swtich in the near term: we are selling mostly Carbon Cubs now with our CC340, and in taking the weight out Continental did some things that don't inspire our confidence.
    Randy Lervold

Default Re: Cont. O-200D

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    No plan to switch in the near term: we are selling mostly Carbon Cubs now with our CC340, and in taking the weight out Continental did some things that don't inspire our confidence.
    I know you have talked about hot-rodding the O-200. Just what are you doing to it? The standard psitons on the O-200A are 7.1:1 compression, the O-200D are 8.5:1. Are you using the 8.5 pistons. I also noted that Light Speed offers 9.4:1 pistons. And besides the Light Speed ignition, what else are you doing?
    And are you still looking into the Lyc. IO-233 engine. It should have about the same weight as the Cont. O-200A but with an extra 16 ponies but with an engine warranty as an experimental engine's ends as soon as you start it up.