Thread: Tailing Edge Rib Alignment

Default Tailing Edge Rib Alignment

I have a concern with my tailing edge rib installation on my EX-3 kit, Section 21 of the Wing manual. After drilling, dimpling and riveting the top/bottom/side, the result is that the tailing edge rib is no longer straight with the center rib. I have done 3 ribs so far, even using a square to hold the rib in place. All three are slightly out of alignment.

When I flex them straight with a light push, there is a small deflection in the center rib.

Is there a way to keep these tailing ribs perfectly aligned? Is this a real issue? Maybe this will fix itself when the false spar or cap strips are installed later?

Thanks, Pete20191030_171613350_iOS.jpg20191030_171623450_iOS.jpg20191030_171635752_iOS.jpg

Default Re: Tailing Edge Rib Alignment

I have this on some of my trailing edge ribs as well. I just finished putting on my false spars a few weeks ago and drawing a line with your sharpie down the center of the ribs and tweaking them a little side to side before drilling helped the alignment. The center rib deflection seems barely noticeable. I cannot imagine it being an issue beyond aesthetics.

Yes, don’t worry about that now, you did it right. The false spar has pre-drilled holes and you will align the tail ribs with these holes before drilling. Check out post #11 here

http://forum.cubcrafters.com/showthr...p-Hints/page15

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    I have a concern with my tailing edge rib installation on my EX-3 kit, Section 21 of the Wing manual. After drilling, dimpling and riveting the top/bottom/side, the result is that the tailing edge rib is no longer straight with the center rib. I have done 3 ribs so far, even using a square to hold the rib in place. All three are slightly out of alignment.

When I flex them straight with a light push, there is a small deflection in the center rib.

Is there a way to keep these tailing ribs perfectly aligned? Is this a real issue? Maybe this will fix itself when the false spar or cap strips are installed later?

Thanks, Pete20191030_171613350_iOS.jpg20191030_171623450_iOS.jpg20191030_171635752_iOS.jpg
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Fantastic, thanks for the reassuring comments! I'll proceed....