Thread: Exhaust Spring Installation EX(1)

Default Exhaust Spring Installation EX(1)

Can someone give advice on how to connect the exhaust springs on an EX(1)? It's interesting to see that this area has been reengineered from model to model.

I'm confident the exhaust collector is seated deep enough into the exhausts. I have used a wire to pull the spring and that seems like a good approach. I've started with the spring connected to the exhaust tube or the oil sump brackets. I just can't get the hook of the spring to bend over into a hole.

Could this simply be a two man task?

Photos from the Firewall Forward Manual

Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 11.36.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 11.37.10 AM.png
    Jim Morrical

Default Re: Exhaust Spring Installation EX(1)

Hi Jim,

My experience has been it is easiest to start with the springs clipped onto the exhaust then pull up and hook them onto the tabs on the engine. If you protect the engine mount tube with something to keep it from being damaged you can use a pair of long pliers and use the engine mount and a pivot. Puling up with wire as you mentioned and using pliers to manipulate the hook on the spring is also a method I have used.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Default Re: Exhaust Spring Installation EX(1)

In the end I bought cheep bent nose long reach pliers as Pete mentioned. From the aircraft left side I used a coat hanger wire to pull the spring up to the oil sump bracket where I twisted it right into the hole. The aircraft right side was more problematic. There were too many things in the way for me to pull the spring up and reach down with the pliers seeing what I was doing. Maybe two guys could have done it.

So, I worked from the front of the engine. I connected that next spring to the oil sump bracket and pulled it down to the exhaust tube connection. Problem here is there is too much spring interference from the installed spring to get the hook of the second spring in the hole. Solution: pull the left side spring mostly clear of the hole at the exhaust tube. A loop of safety wire around the spring and #4 exhaust twisted tight pulled it away nicely. Finally got it in the hole.

I could have finished this in 15 minutes instead of 2 hours of horsing around for a solution. Hope this helps someone.

IMG_4841.jpg

IMG_4839.jpg

IMG_4840.jpg
    Last edited by jmorrical; 03-07-2022 at 06:19 AM.
    Jim Morrical