Thread: Install Starter and Master Solenoid

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Install Starter and Master Solenoid

Before I cover I wanted to drill the holes for mounting the starter and master solenoid. I laid it out on the left side of the seat base. Before drilling I spent time with this figure from the EX fuselage manual.

Seat.png

My question is how to find the vertical dimension of 5.6" and 7.5". The first go I simply measured down from the top of the seat base the appropriate distance back from the front reference. What I know is the top of the seat base is not square with the reference point, the front of the seat base. This option might be placing the most reward solenoid about 3/4" too low. The point is that the top surface of the seat base is not square with the front face where dimensions are marked from.

From photos I've seen there are lots of things are in this area so I want to get it right...not too low or too high. The tolerance tells me that there is reason for concern.

I may be overthinking this. What's the correct approach and what screw should be used?

Jim Morrical

Default Re: Install Starter and Master Solenoid

On all the ones I’ve built, the holes were all pre-drilled and also were put in line (so both solenoids are in line instead of the aft one being turned sideways). I think they changed all that.

I don’t think there is anything very critical about their locations so I don’t think it being a bit off will matter at all.

Here is the current drawings being used.

06B88D7F-D0BB-4366-9A40-D5C0353F67CB.png

Quote Originally Posted by jmorrical View Post
    Before I cover I wanted to drill the holes for mounting the starter and master solenoid. I laid it out on the left side of the seat base. Before drilling I spent time with this figure from the EX fuselage manual.

Seat.png

My question is how to find the vertical dimension of 5.6" and 7.5". The first go I simply measured down from the top of the seat base the appropriate distance back from the front reference. What I know is the top of the seat base is not square with the reference point, the front of the seat base. This option might be placing the most reward solenoid about 3/4" too low. The point is that the top surface of the seat base is not square with the front face where dimensions are marked from.

From photos I've seen there are lots of things are in this area so I want to get it right...not too low or too high. The tolerance tells me that there is reason for concern.

I may be overthinking this. What's the correct approach and what screw should be used?

Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Default Re: Install Starter and Master Solenoid

David thanks. This is interesting.

I see the starter solenoid has been positioned vertically.. .a more normal positioning for general use. I have heard the orientation shown in my kit manual is the preferred mount for aerobatic airplanes.

I've also emailed Mitch so I will be interested to see what he says if he can get to it.
    Jim Morrical