Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: G3x/xm ?

Default Re: G3x/xm ?

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    Seems like this is how I recall it working:

FIS-B through ADSB-IN will have the weather with 5-10 minute delay along with TFR data. This is coming from ground based stations so may need to have some altitude and be within ground station range to get this data. Weather is high res only when close to you and low res further away. So if you are looking for TFR or weather it may not show up if not in range of ground stations.

You can get XM like Mark said with radio only for getting all the XM audio channels. The added subscription will get you the XM weather. Advantage is it coming in from satellite so available when on the ground or any altitude and is high res for the entire US. Weather is usually no more then 5 minutes delayed.
    I assume this requires an XM specific antenna. is this typically mounted on the plane or is it somewhere in the cockpit?

Yes. The G3X has to have the XM radio built in to the unit and there is an antenna connection on the pilot right, bottom side. the antenna is usually mounted on top of the fuselage over the head area of the passenger seat facing upwards.(inside the airplane between the fuse and the skylight).

Quote Originally Posted by PropWash_ID View Post
    I assume this requires an XM specific antenna. is this typically mounted on the plane or is it somewhere in the cockpit?
    Last edited by Daveembry; 09-09-2019 at 06:17 AM.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

TFRs will show with both XM and FIS-B but they seem to take a while to come through. On a flight yesterday a fire TFR took 20 minutes to show on my 796. I was abeam it by then. Weather is much quicker.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011