Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garmin GDL 52 with World VFR panel

Default Garmin GDL 52 with World VFR panel

Anybody have experience with this ADSB ‘In’ solution yet with your 796? Curious how you mounted it and if you went all Bluetooth for GPS, XM and ADSB.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Default Re: Garmin GDL 52 with World VFR panel

Quote Originally Posted by jasimmons View Post
    Anybody have experience with this ADSB ‘In’ solution yet with your 796? Curious how you mounted it and if you went all Bluetooth for GPS, XM and ADSB.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew
    IMG_1926.jpg

Not a great picture but what I could find on my PC. I have a GDL 52 Bluetoothed to the 796 for In. And I have a GDL 82 and Becker transponder for Out. The 796 cradle is attached to the V-tubes using clamps.

I think the ADS-B is a great system. There's more traffic out there than you think. As an example from the back country; about a month ago I was flying into Fish Lake in Idaho from the north. I was about 4 miles out, to the northeast, and had announced my position at 10 miles and 5 miles on 122.9. All of a sudden a plane icon popped up coming over the ridge to the south and 300' above me. They either weren't listening to 122.9 or were just rude as they didn't return my call. Without seeing them pop up on the 796 I'd not have been looking for them. They had Out and their N number showed and that's why I was able to see them too.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Thanks Dan. Glad to hear it's working as it should. Where did you mount the GDL? And are you only using the GDLs internal antennas as opposed to any of the optional external wired antennas?

Thanks Dan. Glad to hear it's working as it should. Where did you mount the GDL? And are you only using the GDLs internal antennas as opposed to any of the optional external wired antennas?
    I mounted the GDL 82 on the left side kick panel fairly high. The transponder is on that side so it made a short coax run. I put a doubler on the other side of the carbon fiber kick panel.

I'm not using any supplemental antennas with the GDL 52.

Thx Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    I mounted the GDL 82 on the left side kick panel fairly high. The transponder is on that side so it made a short coax run. I put a doubler on the other side of the carbon fiber kick panel.

I'm not using any supplemental antennas with the GDL 52.

Ok, just set the GDL 52 on the dash (no mount) and it worked perfect. Both to the panel mounted 796 and my iPhone running Foreflight. Now the task is an actual mount for the 52 that holds it when it gets bumpy and places it centerline and level for accurate attitude info. Could drill into the glare shield. But would prefer a something less invasive either on the glare shield or up in the skylight area. We'll figure out, maybe a RAM mount setup. Just want to see if Dan or someone else has done so already for any of the non-remote models (GDL 50/51/52). Thx.

Andrew

Edit: found this on Garmin site...

Last edited by jasimmons; 08-18-2019 at 09:44 AM.

Ok, just set the GDL 52 on the dash (no mount) and it worked perfect. Both to the panel mounted 796 and my iPhone running Foreflight. Now the task is an actual mount for the 52 that holds it when it gets bumpy and places it centerline and level for accurate attitude info. Could drill into the glare shield. But would prefer a something less invasive either on the glare shield or up in the skylight area. We'll figure out, maybe a RAM mount setup. Just want to see if Dan or someone else has done so already for any of the non-remote models (GDL 50/51/52). Thx.

Andrew

Edit: found this on Garmin site...
    I move the 796 and GDL 52 between two airplanes so made it as simple as possible - Velcro.

I attached a piece on the bottom of the furnished plastic mount/tray that comes with the unit. That keeps a low profile in the CC which is important because there isn’t a lot of vertical room between the glare shield and the windscreen. Not as big of a deal in the Cessna but it works fine in both airplanes like this.

I will try and get a better picture of the setup but won’t be out to the hangar for a few days.

9C8286C6-AC85-4B6A-9C07-EA9F8E829A24.jpg

8EDBCF61-075B-4E72-948D-939E9DCEF25B.jpg

The GDL 52 doesn’t fit well on the centerline for optimum ADHRS functionality. But that feature doesn’t work very well regardless. Neither did the GDL39 I had before the 52.

Good pics Dan. Thx. I’ve been pleased thus far with GPS, XM and ADSB functions of the -52. Haven’t played much with the AHRS. Curious what you didn’t like about AHRS as I sit here fashioning a centerline mount in the skylight...

Andrew

Good pics Dan. Thx. I’ve been pleased thus far with GPS, XM and ADSB functions of the -52. Haven’t played much with the AHRS. Curious what you didn’t like about AHRS as I sit here fashioning a centerline mount in the skylight...

Andrew
    It will not hold level. The horizon drifts up and down and tilts side to side. Worthless in my opinion.