Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW CC393i POWERPLANT FOR XCUB

Super Moderator

Default NEW CC393i POWERPLANT FOR XCUB

CC393i Press Release Photo - CubCrafters (7-10-19).jpg

PRESS RELEASE- CUBCRAFTERS DEBUTS NEW CC393i POWERPLANT FOR XCUB

Collaborative Project with Lycoming and Hartzell

Yakima, Washington – July 10, 2019: CubCrafters is upgrading its industry leading personal adventure aircraft, the XCub, with a new firewall forward package, including a much more powerful engine and propeller combination developed in cooperation with key industry partners.

FAA certified in 2016, the XCub is lighter, stronger, and faster than any aircraft in its category. Combined with a larger payload and greater range, these attributes fulfill a wider mission profile than any other comparative aircraft in this class. The new firewall forward package being offered expands the capabilities of CubCrafters’ flagship aircraft even more.

Dubbed the CC393i, the new lightweight fuel injected engine develops more than 215 HP, but adds only 10 pounds to the aircraft’s overall empty weight when compared to similar legacy fuel injected 180 HP engine options. Developed as part of a growing collaboration between CubCrafters and Lycoming, the new CC393i engine is only available from CubCrafters and offered exclusively on the XCub.

“The opportunity to work together with Lycoming to develop this new, high-power and lightweight engine for the XCub has been truly inspiring. The CC393i, with its advances in technology and materials, absolutely delivers on the high performing adventure that we are dedicated to bring to our customers,” shared Patrick Horgan, CubCrafters president.

A newly developed lightweight composite, three-bladed, constant speed propeller called the ‘Pathfinder’ will also be first launched by Hartzell Propeller as part of the updated firewall forward package for the XCub. With both updated aerodynamics and internal structure, the new propeller is quieter, smoother, and optimized for back country operations.

“From its inception, our XCub development team set out to design a modern Cub with terrific STOL capabilities, like our LSA Carbon Cub, but one that could travel faster and farther, while accommodating all of the gear that a pilot and passenger might want to carry for an extended adventure” recalls CubCrafters founder Jim Richmond. “Now, after having met that goal, we have refined the design for even more performance and capability.”

This new firewall forward package features many of the same improvements that were first introduced on the massively popular CC363i engine that is offered exclusively on the 3rd generation of CubCrafters experimental Carbon Cub aircraft, the EX-3 and FX-3.

Horgan explains: “With the CC363i, we started with the combination of a lightweight 180+ horsepower engine with dual electronic ignition, fuel injection, and a high performance Hartzell composite constant speed propeller. Our design team integrated the entire engine and airframe package using our own in-house expertise, computational fluid design tools, and considerable testing to optimize both induction airflow and cooling with spectacular results.” He continues that, “now we are doing the same with this new 215+ horsepower Lycoming CC393i engine and the new Hartzell Pathfinder propeller; we’re giving the XCub a huge performance boost, just as we did for the experimental Carbon Cub in 2017.”

Key components of the new CC393i engine include new lightweight magnesium parts such as the accessory case, oil sump, and a new innovative lightweight magnesium cold air induction system. In addition, standard equipment includes fuel injection, a high-performance ignition system, a lightweight Sky-Tec starter, and lightweight alternator options. To house the CC393i, a new larger cowling with better aerodynamics was designed. Cooling airflow for the engine is improved by a new lightweight composite baffling system, and a new exhaust system is designed to increase power while scavenging more heat than ever before for the XCub cabin.

“I’m very excited to be able to introduce this new powerplant combination to our customers” says CubCrafters Vice President of Sales and Marketing, Brad Damm, who has flown behind the new CC393i engine extensively during its testing and development phase. He comments that, “This is the highest horsepower engine CubCrafters has ever offered and it doesn’t disappoint. The acceleration is exhilarating. The takeoff and climb are impressive, even by CubCrafters’ high standards.”

CubCrafters notes that the XCub was always intended to be more than just a new airplane; it was designed right from the start as a platform upon which new technologies and different configurations can be offered to fulfill different missions. The company says that the new CC393i engine opens a host of new possibilities for the airplane.

The new Lycoming CC393i engine and Hartzell Pathfinder propeller combination will be displayed as part of CubCrafters’ AirVenture 2019 exhibit at Booth 273/274, and is an option for new XCub orders with delivery in 2020 and beyond.

• The new CC393i is likely the lightest certified 215 HP class aircraft engine in history. (theFranklin 220, 350 cu.in. & 2800 rpm, is 3 lbs. heavier.)

• The CC393i adds 35 additional horsepower with an installed weight on the XCub which iswithin 10 lbs. of a legacy IO-360 engine.

• XCub has gained a 17% increase in thrust with the CC393i powerplant, while the emptyweight of the aircraft has only increased by 2%.

• The thrust to weight ratio of an XCub equipped with the new CC393i powerplant isvirtually identical to the thrust to weight ratio of a 3rd generation Carbon Cub.

• The CC393i (215 HP) supplies 19% more horsepower than the O-360-C1G (180 HP),while only consuming approximately 8% more fuel at peak/best power.

• Lycoming and Hartzell each currently supply new engines and propellers for newlymanufactured CubCrafters aircraft and kits every 2.5 days, on average.

• The CC393i is an exclusive CubCrafters engine manufactured by Lycoming, andCubCrafters is the exclusive launch partner for the Hartzell Pathfinder Propeller.
    Brad Damm - Vice President of Sales and Marketing
    CubCrafters - Yakima, Washington
    Office: (509) 248-9491
    Cell: (509) 961-2313

Default Re: NEW CC393i POWERPLANT FOR XCUB

Are there any performance specifications available?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Damm View Post
    CC393i Press Release Photo - CubCrafters (7-10-19).jpg

PRESS RELEASE- CUBCRAFTERS DEBUTS NEW CC393i POWERPLANT FOR XCUB

Collaborative Project with Lycoming and Hartzell

Yakima, Washington – July 10, 2019: CubCrafters is upgrading its industry leading personal adventure aircraft, the XCub, with a new firewall forward package, including a much more powerful engine and propeller combination developed in cooperation with key industry partners.

FAA certified in 2016, the XCub is lighter, stronger, and faster than any aircraft in its category. Combined with a larger payload and greater range, these attributes fulfill a wider mission profile than any other comparative aircraft in this class. The new firewall forward package being offered expands the capabilities of CubCrafters’ flagship aircraft even more.

Dubbed the CC393i, the new lightweight fuel injected engine develops more than 215 HP, but adds only 10 pounds to the aircraft’s overall empty weight when compared to similar legacy fuel injected 180 HP engine options. Developed as part of a growing collaboration between CubCrafters and Lycoming, the new CC393i engine is only available from CubCrafters and offered exclusively on the XCub.

“The opportunity to work together with Lycoming to develop this new, high-power and lightweight engine for the XCub has been truly inspiring. The CC393i, with its advances in technology and materials, absolutely delivers on the high performing adventure that we are dedicated to bring to our customers,” shared Patrick Horgan, CubCrafters president.

A newly developed lightweight composite, three-bladed, constant speed propeller called the ‘Pathfinder’ will also be first launched by Hartzell Propeller as part of the updated firewall forward package for the XCub. With both updated aerodynamics and internal structure, the new propeller is quieter, smoother, and optimized for back country operations.

“From its inception, our XCub development team set out to design a modern Cub with terrific STOL capabilities, like our LSA Carbon Cub, but one that could travel faster and farther, while accommodating all of the gear that a pilot and passenger might want to carry for an extended adventure” recalls CubCrafters founder Jim Richmond. “Now, after having met that goal, we have refined the design for even more performance and capability.”

This new firewall forward package features many of the same improvements that were first introduced on the massively popular CC363i engine that is offered exclusively on the 3rd generation of CubCrafters experimental Carbon Cub aircraft, the EX-3 and FX-3.

Horgan explains: “With the CC363i, we started with the combination of a lightweight 180+ horsepower engine with dual electronic ignition, fuel injection, and a high performance Hartzell composite constant speed propeller. Our design team integrated the entire engine and airframe package using our own in-house expertise, computational fluid design tools, and considerable testing to optimize both induction airflow and cooling with spectacular results.” He continues that, “now we are doing the same with this new 215+ horsepower Lycoming CC393i engine and the new Hartzell Pathfinder propeller; we’re giving the XCub a huge performance boost, just as we did for the experimental Carbon Cub in 2017.”

Key components of the new CC393i engine include new lightweight magnesium parts such as the accessory case, oil sump, and a new innovative lightweight magnesium cold air induction system. In addition, standard equipment includes fuel injection, a high-performance ignition system, a lightweight Sky-Tec starter, and lightweight alternator options. To house the CC393i, a new larger cowling with better aerodynamics was designed. Cooling airflow for the engine is improved by a new lightweight composite baffling system, and a new exhaust system is designed to increase power while scavenging more heat than ever before for the XCub cabin.

“I’m very excited to be able to introduce this new powerplant combination to our customers” says CubCrafters Vice President of Sales and Marketing, Brad Damm, who has flown behind the new CC393i engine extensively during its testing and development phase. He comments that, “This is the highest horsepower engine CubCrafters has ever offered and it doesn’t disappoint. The acceleration is exhilarating. The takeoff and climb are impressive, even by CubCrafters’ high standards.”

CubCrafters notes that the XCub was always intended to be more than just a new airplane; it was designed right from the start as a platform upon which new technologies and different configurations can be offered to fulfill different missions. The company says that the new CC393i engine opens a host of new possibilities for the airplane.

The new Lycoming CC393i engine and Hartzell Pathfinder propeller combination will be displayed as part of CubCrafters’ AirVenture 2019 exhibit at Booth 273/274, and is an option for new XCub orders with delivery in 2020 and beyond.

• The new CC393i is likely the lightest certified 215 HP class aircraft engine in history. (theFranklin 220, 350 cu.in. & 2800 rpm, is 3 lbs. heavier.)

• The CC393i adds 35 additional horsepower with an installed weight on the XCub which iswithin 10 lbs. of a legacy IO-360 engine.

• XCub has gained a 17% increase in thrust with the CC393i powerplant, while the emptyweight of the aircraft has only increased by 2%.

• The thrust to weight ratio of an XCub equipped with the new CC393i powerplant isvirtually identical to the thrust to weight ratio of a 3rd generation Carbon Cub.

• The CC393i (215 HP) supplies 19% more horsepower than the O-360-C1G (180 HP),while only consuming approximately 8% more fuel at peak/best power.

• Lycoming and Hartzell each currently supply new engines and propellers for newlymanufactured CubCrafters aircraft and kits every 2.5 days, on average.

• The CC393i is an exclusive CubCrafters engine manufactured by Lycoming, andCubCrafters is the exclusive launch partner for the Hartzell Pathfinder Propeller.

Ref. to this statement, "The new CC393i is likely the lightest certified 215 HP class aircraft engine in history. (theFranklin 220, 350 cu.in. & 2800 rpm, is 3 lbs. heavier."

I'm told by CubCrafters that this engine is Not Certified at this time for the XCub, but is 'expected' to be in the near future. Any update on this would be interesting?
    Last edited by Steve Y; 03-02-2020 at 08:46 AM.
    XCub: CCX-2300-0011
    SPOT X TRACKING: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/09SL

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Y View Post
    Ref. to this statement, "The new CC393i is likely the lightest certified 215 HP class aircraft engine in history. (theFranklin 220, 350 cu.in. & 2800 rpm, is 3 lbs. heavier."

I'm told by CubCrafters that this engine is Not Certified at this time for the XCub, but is 'expected' to be in the near future. Any update on this would be interesting?
    Hi Steve, flight testing is currently in process to finish the CC393i certification on the XCub. The biggest challenge so far has been meeting noise standards for the Part-23 certified version of the XCub, but my understanding is that we're close to overcoming that, and I believe we will have it all wrapped up by mid-year.

Hi Steve, flight testing is currently in process to finish the CC393i certification on the XCub. The biggest challenge so far has been meeting noise standards for the Part-23 certified version of the XCub, but my understanding is that we're close to overcoming that, and I believe we will have it all wrapped up by mid-year.
    Thank you, looks like a possible delay in my September 2019 order for a June 2020 delivery as contracted. It’s becoming increasingly interesting, as to the true status of almost a half million dollar order. Not until after five months after placing my order, am I finding the firm order is in limbo land for certification, performance charts and delivery date. Before an arbitrary progress payment for a plane to be built some time in the variable future, I believe we require some enhanced communication.

Super Moderator

Thank you, looks like a possible delay in my September 2019 order for a June 2020 delivery as contracted. It’s becoming increasingly interesting, as to the true status of almost a half million dollar order. Not until after five months after placing my order, am I finding the firm order is in limbo land for certification, performance charts and delivery date. Before an arbitrary progress payment for a plane to be built some time in the variable future, I believe we require some enhanced communication.
    Hi Steve,

I misunderstood your question. You asked about the engine certification progress and I assumed you were talking about the FAA/FAR Part-23 Certified version of the XCub and that specific process. All of the Experimental (EAB certified) aircraft being built as part of the Builder Assist program, including the one you have on order, are on track for normal delivery. The first ones are already rolling off of the assembly line here in Yakima, and Ben should be able to give you exact dates for your build visit, for your return certification visit, and the delivery timeline.

Hi Steve,

I misunderstood your question. You asked about the engine certification progress and I assumed you were talking about the FAA/FAR Part-23 Certified version of the XCub and that specific process. All of the Experimental (EAB certified) aircraft being built as part of the Builder Assist program, including the one you have on order, are on track for normal delivery. The first ones are already rolling off of the assembly line here in Yakima, and Ben should be able to give you exact dates for your build visit, for your return certification visit, and the delivery timeline.
    You were correct the first time. I ordered a Part 23 Certified XCub. I really have no interest in an EAB Builder Assist. It’s only now, some five months after my order, that I’m finding out the order needs to be a builder assist.

Super Moderator

You were correct the first time. I ordered a Part 23 Certified XCub. I really have no interest in an EAB Builder Assist. It’s only now, some five months after my order, that I’m finding out the order needs to be a builder assist.
    Hi Steve,

Please feel free to give me a call. I'm happy to answer any questions. (509) 961-2313.

EAB for XCubs??

Hi Steve,

Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Yes sir!! We are offering the big engine XCub in Builder Assist EAB version now and Certified version once the engine finishes being certified.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    EAB for XCubs??
    Mike Sasser
    Boomerang Air
    mike@boomerangair.net

OK,AR,TX,LA
    www.cubcrafters.com