Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 0-360-c4p vs cc360

Default 0-360-c4p vs cc360

Can you please tell us exactly the difference between these engines?

Thanks much
    Mark

Default Re: 0-360-c4p vs cc360

Quote Originally Posted by wzlyyn View Post
    Can you please tell us exactly the difference between these engines?

Thanks much
    Mark
    Hi Mark, The way I understand the difference between engines is that the 0-0360-C4P is a Lycoming factory made certified engine as fitted to the TOP CUB, there is also a experimential model YO-0360-C4P made by Lycoming...the CC360 is made by ECI with some parts made by ECI and some genuine Lycoming parts, and special features can be added, the cost is about the same for both engines..... Jim

I'll let Mitch get you some exact figures but the weight difference would be huge, at least 50 lbs.
    Randy Lervold

Is the cc340 limited to 80hp continuous cruise the way it is in the s-lsa version? Can you cruise at 75% power more than 5 minutes in an EX?

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    I'll let Mitch get you some exact figures but the weight difference would be huge, at least 50 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SoyAnarchisto View Post
    Is the cc340 limited to 80hp continuous cruise the way it is in the s-lsa version? Can you cruise at 75% power more than 5 minutes in an EX?
    Yes, in the EX there is no 80 hp continuous rating. BUT, if you build it as an E-AB and are intending to use Sport Pilot priveleges then you'd want to set your gross weight at 1320 lbs and also list the engine restriction, otherwise it wouldn't comply with the Light Sport Aircraft rules which is needed for Sport Pilot use.
    Randy Lervold

Can you build it as an E-AB setting the higher gross weight, and then later (for whatever reason) decide to re-certificate it as e-lsa at 1320 and fly (or sell it) as light sport?

'Greg

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    Yes, in the EX there is no 80 hp continuous rating. BUT, if you build it as an E-AB and are intending to use Sport Pilot priveleges then you'd want to set your gross weight at 1320 lbs and also list the engine restriction, otherwise it wouldn't comply with the Light Sport Aircraft rules which is needed for Sport Pilot use.

Randy:
    You say that my EX in the E-AB lite sport category I have to list the HP restrictions what is the reason for that? Is CubCrafters saying that at 75% power I would exceed the 139 mph lite sport restriction?
    Thanks
    EV

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Quote Originally Posted by EVRoosevelt View Post
    Randy:
    You say that my EX in the E-AB lite sport category I have to list the HP restrictions what is the reason for that? Is CubCrafters saying that at 75% power I would exceed the 139 mph lite sport restriction?
    Thanks
    EV
    Hey EV,

For the LSA thing the important restrictions center around speed, weight and number of seats. As for the weight restriction, everyone knows about the Gross Wt. However, in order to meet the max empty wt restriction of 900lbs, any LSA builder has a horsepower factor that has to fit into the empty wt formula.

That formula is 1320 minus 190lbs for each seat in the airplane minus half the continuous rated horsepower. Hence, for the CarbonCub to meet it's 900lb max empty wt for LSA, the continuous horsepower rating cannot exceed 80 hp.
    1320-190-190-(80/2) = 900

See you at SnF.

John M

Hi John,

Can you point me to the offical regs which state this? Is this in the FAR somewhere?

I'm just an engineer - but somebody is getting screwing with their units. Subtracting horsepower from weight to get weight? Who came up with that?

'Greg

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    Hey EV,

For the LSA thing the important restrictions center around speed, weight and number of seats. As for the weight restriction, everyone knows about the Gross Wt. However, in order to meet the max empty wt restriction of 900lbs, any LSA builder has a horsepower factor that has to fit into the empty wt formula.

That formula is 1320 minus 190lbs for each seat in the airplane minus half the continuous rated horsepower. Hence, for the CarbonCub to meet it's 900lb max empty wt for LSA, the continuous horsepower rating cannot exceed 80 hp.
    1320-190-190-(80/2) = 900

See you at SnF.

John M

John:
    When the DAR approved my lite sport he never said anything about a horsepower reduction after take off like on a factory Cub.
    Thanks
    EV