Thread: EX2 Kit Questions

Default EX2 Kit Questions

Hi all, I’ve been lurking for a few years and I have my finger on the trigger for an EX2 Kit but have a couple more questions. I was hoping someone would chime in to answer them. First question is in regard to the standard CC340 engine. Does anyone have chronic CHT cooling issues with this engine? Second is a shipping question. I’ve called CC twice to try and get a rough idea on shipping to the Rocky Mountain Region and have not got a reply back. I live in the Cheyenne WY area so I was wondering if someone has had a kit shipped to this area or the Denver area and how much it cost.

Thanks
    chris

Default Re: EX2 Kit Questions

One might take this with a grain of salt but after 20 hours of following CC recommended "Break In Procedures" I have seen CHT's and EGT's drop and begin to run some what predictably. Never were they alarmingly high but they do bare watching during this break in period. My experience, confirmed by others is this engine requires leaning and should be as it will cool these temps. Conversely oil temps run on the cool side and I made the decision to tape a portion of the cooler raising them 20 degrees to ~179.
    Your milage will vary but mine is about 3000 from Yakima to Vermont costing $3000.

Good luck,
    40M VT Glenn
    Last edited by 40m; 07-03-2019 at 02:25 AM.

My experience is similar to Glenn's. I'm at 70 hours now and CHTs are staying below 400, mid 300s in cruise. I also have half the oil cooler taped off. With the trip to Oshkosh coming up, I should get a good feel for how it performs on extended climbs etc. Leaning to peak gives a good CHT reduction.

I paid about $1000 for shipping 800 miles to California of the three airframe kits.

Quote Originally Posted by CdPea View Post
    Hi all, I’ve been lurking for a few years and I have my finger on the trigger for an EX2 Kit but have a couple more questions. I was hoping someone would chime in to answer them. First question is in regard to the standard CC340 engine. Does anyone have chronic CHT cooling issues with this engine? Second is a shipping question. I’ve called CC twice to try and get a rough idea on shipping to the Rocky Mountain Region and have not got a reply back. I live in the Cheyenne WY area so I was wondering if someone has had a kit shipped to this area or the Denver area and how much it cost.

Thanks
    chris
    Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate the info.

chris

Chris,
    sent you a private message on this forum!

Rick

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    CubCrafters Dealer for AZ/NM/UT/CO/southern WY
    www.suncountrycubs.com

Cost for shipping my EX-2 Kit (Wing, Fuselage, and Finish) to Heber City, Utah airport was $1,200. Plus another $100 for a tilt-back wrecker to get the 2000 lb box out of the semi and into my hangar. Don't recall the cost for the Firewall Forward and engine but it wasn't too bad.

As for engine temps - at 50 hrs TT all is cool but on a prolonged climb at 2,400 rpm cylinders #3 and #4 will approach 400.

Bill

I paid about $1200 for shipping 1000 miles to LA of the three kits.