Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EX-2 Oil temps

Default Re: EX-2 Oil temps

As a follow up I decided to tape the right front half of the oil cooler (easier to reach) resulting in an increase of 20 degrees. Temps yesterday were 170-181 degrees with an outside temp of 52-78. I think a hinged flap would be the ticket.

Reference - Cory Robin, You Tube "Return of the Ghost"

40M

Well Steve, I am very please to say a copied version of your oil cooler door proved to be an effective method to manage oil temperatures inflight.
    OAT 60F with door open oil temp 165, closed 192, partially open 181.
    I agree that during the winter it might be necessary to partially tape the front side but the ability to open or close the back side should keeps temps always above 180F. This thing is slick.
    Steve thanks for sharing and Tom Ford from Grass Patch Aero thanks for building and installing during CI.
    609874495.jpg609874537.jpg

With a hinged flapper type door are you able to find and in between position? I’m wondering if it is either all or none?
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    With a hinged flapper type door are you able to find and in between position? I’m wondering if it is either all or none?
    Minor adjustments can be made in fact the difference between closed at 192 degrees and partially open 181 degrees was 3/4" of approx 3" of cable position.

glad its working out for you

[QUOTE=40m;24854]Well Steve, I am very please to say a copied version of your oil cooler door proved to be an effective method to manage oil temperatures inflight.
    OAT 60F with door open oil temp 165, closed 192, partially open 181.
    I agree that during the winter it might be necessary to partially tape the front side but the ability to open or close the back side should keeps temps always above 180F. This thing is slick.
    Steve thanks for sharing and Tom Ford from Grass Patch Aero thanks for building and installing during CI.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post

Dan, to get those minor adjustment you must have the locking push button boden cable otherwise the door will creep open.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

85 hours now on the plane and rarely see temps over 165F with half of the cooler taped off.

Very much considering the cooler door mod.

A couple of questions:

Any issue with the door rubbing against the cooler when fully closed? Looks like the door butts up right next to the cooler welds.

Also what guage of sheet metal for the door? I think you would want it stiff enough but not overly thick.

Thanks
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    85 hours now on the plane and rarely see temps over 165F with half of the cooler taped off.

Very much considering the cooler door mod.

A couple of questions:

Any issue with the door rubbing against the cooler when fully closed? Looks like the door butts up right next to the cooler welds.

Also what guage of sheet metal for the door? I think you would want it stiff enough but not overly thick.

Thanks
    I haven't seen any black residue as a result of rubbing and I've been running it for about 100 hrs. I just used some material I had left over, just want it stiff enough that it won't flex. I think mine is about 1/32", I don't know what gauge that is.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Quote Originally Posted by stede52 View Post
    I haven't seen any black residue as a result of rubbing and I've been running it for about 100 hrs. I just used some material I had left over, just want it stiff enough that it won't flex. I think mine is about 1/32", I don't know what gauge that is.
    I used piano hinge from McMaster Carr. bought a 2" and a 1" then put them together. I think I bought .050..

As far as it's effectiveness it is absolutely perfect for raising temps and keeping them where you want them to a degree!
    I open it up slightly on landing so that during my next take off and climb out I need not be concerned about over temps. Adjust for RPM changes.