Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instrument Panel Options for EX-3

Default Instrument Panel Options for EX-3

Hi everyone,
    I have a simple question with regards to the Exec Glass instrument panel which is listed for $31,490 as part of the EX-3 kit.

My understanding that a builder can either choose from existing 2 options on the web site (20k and 31.5k) or build his own panel from readily available components.
    The Executive Glass panel by Cubcrafters includes G3X-$4000),Probes (pitot/AOA)-$450,GTR200-$1450,GTX335-$3625 and intercom -$300, harness, switches, breakers.
    The total cost of the components above is around $11,000.

My question is - what constitutes the difference (~$20,000) between cost of the components I listed above and the final price of the panel? Is that labor/margin or I missed something?

Default Re: Instrument Panel Options for EX-3

Quote Originally Posted by cooley View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I have a simple question with regards to the Exec Glass instrument panel which is listed for $31,490 as part of the EX-3 kit.

My understanding that a builder can either choose from existing 2 options on the web site (20k and 31.5k) or build his own panel from readily available components.
    The Executive Glass panel by Cubcrafters includes G3X-$4000),Probes (pitot/AOA)-$450,GTR200-$1450,GTX335-$3625 and intercom -$300, harness, switches, breakers.

My question is - what constitutes the difference (~$20,000) between cost of the components I listed above and the final price of the panel? Is that labor/margin or I missed something?
    The pre-built wiring harness alone is worth about a million dollars if I had to do it

Super Moderator

The difference is in quite a few things. The pre-built panel is a fully assembled and bench tested plug and play option, whereas customers that build their own panels only get the the unfinished aluminum panel blank as a starting point for their own efforts.

Meaning that with the pre-built option we cut all the panel openings, install the necessary avionics racks, nut plates, and other hardware, paint or powder coat the finished panel itself, then install the placards, the switches, the circuit breakers, followed by the avionics and other components. We additionally manufacture and install or include the specialty wiring harnesses and connectors needed to connect the avionics package to the basic wiring harness of the aircraft itself that would otherwise have to be custom made by the builder, and then bench test and inspect everything through our FAA approved QA processes, which is the same as for a Part 23 certified aircraft. Finally, we custom pack and ship the entire sub-assembly with the kit, and warranty that entire sub-assembly to be free from labor or materials defects.

The great thing is that each builder gets to choose the path that makes the most sense for their build and their own skills talents and abilities. As I recall, about half of the EX builders choose one of our pre-built options and half choose to custom design and build their own panel from the blank included.
    Brad Damm - Vice President of Sales and Marketing
    CubCrafters - Yakima, Washington
    Office: (509) 248-9491
    Cell: (509) 961-2313

I'll for sure vouch for what Brad said. I actually ask the same questions when I purchased my first kit. There is no way I would attempt to do it on my own piece meal. This is BY FAR the most complicated and intimidating part of the build so it's much better to have the factory do it and not worry about it.

I think the biggest thing is all the requirements for connecting everything and wiring it in. The installation manual for the G3X Touch is over 800 pages alone and in technical terms as far as the wiring requirements go. Everything in the G3X system talks to each other through a network including the autopilot servos with updates from Garmin that is also integrated and automatic to all components.

So when you order the finished panel from Cubcrafters, they have supplied and installed all the main and small parts required; made an integrated wiring harness where all the wires are numbered on each end and documented in very detailed , schematic drawings for easy future reference; where each wire in the harness is cut to fit to it's exact locations; includes all the switches, circuit breakers, shunts, labels, etc with every nut and bolt there.

The panel is shipped already installed in the instrument panel with remote parts already installed in the trays. You lay out the harness and simply connect the wires. I really could not imagine starting from scratch myself and if you hire another company to do it ......why? You will pay them anyway and they are not Cubcrafters.

With the supplied panel, it's warranted by Cubcrafters and you have lots of customer support both for the install or later trouble shooting.

So I'm sitting here looking at my 4th panel on my bench right now......the only way I'd go (obviously).

Good question though......

Hi everyone,

Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

ok, thank you guys for the detailed responses. It makes more sense now.
    It seems like the consumer consensus is that it is more price/time efficient to get a prebuilt panel rather than build it.
    I think a builder will spend approx 100 hours building/messing with the custom panel which is an equivalent of 10-15k which makes CC solution efficient. But as you say - some ppl [time rich] go this route.

I have another question then..
    I would like to put a round "steam" air speed indicator (or maybe Garmin G5) on the left side from G3X which would be a modification to the CC Glass panel.

Can I still do it?

Also - a stupid question I know.. Is there any benefits to buy a kit during Oshkosh? Some companies give extras during big events.

Mike Sasser of Boomerang Air is the man to talk to there in Texas as he is the sales rep for Cubcrafters there. Mike@boomerangair.net. He can let you know about the pricing, etc.

They can custom build that panel for you pretty much any way you want to go I think.

ok, thank you guys for the detailed responses. It makes more sense now.
    It seems like the consumer consensus is that it is more price/time efficient to get a prebuilt panel rather than build it.
    I think a builder will spend approx 100 hours building/messing with the custom panel which is an equivalent of 10-15k which makes CC solution efficient. But as you say - some ppl [time rich] go this route.

I would like to put a round "steam" air speed indicator (or maybe Garmin G5) on the left side from G3X which would be a modification to the CC Glass panel.

Can I still do it?

Also - a stupid question I know.. Is there any benefits to buy a kit during Oshkosh? Some companies give extras during big events.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Cooley, this one should work for you. Can utilize just a comm or both comm and AP on the right.

Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 5.57.50 PM.png

And if not a G5, space for a steam ASI or float gear indicator.

You may need to pause the video to see the panel.

https://www.facebook.com/21298326957...105093?sfns=mo

ok, thank you guys for the detailed responses

Can I still do it?

C61251F1-204E-4154-B2C7-76C8C48B0AD5.jpg

Yes. Mitch added a couple steam gauges with the G3X package. I really like having the air speed indicator and the rate of climb is just plain fun to watch.

Chuck

OMG. you guys make me cry. really. This is impressive stuff.
    I know Mike - will give him call.

Thanks for responding. Really helpful.