Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Annual CubCrafters Northeast STOL Basin Harbor (B06)

Default Re: Annual CubCrafters Northeast STOL Basin Harbor (B06)

Quote Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
    Looks like about a 24 hour weather window to get it done but it looks pretty good for Saturday. Looks like closest fuel is in KGFL? Who has the local knowledge on fuel price?

jim
    Jim, I can't make it, but yes closest fuel is GFL, last reported about 5.15/gal. Middlebury(6B0) and Ticonderoga(4B6) are $4.8x, and Parlin(2B3) is still going strong at $4.30/gal. Parlin is always a good stop and make sure to sign the logbook inside to help keep the airport open.

If coming from the south Columbia County (1B1) is advertising $4.46 as well.

pb

Harris field it is. Weather is good. I’ll miss the Red Mill but I get to cook burgers and dogs. Chef Mark! Ha! See ya around 9 or so
    Cub Crafters
    Factory Direct New & Used Aircraft Sales
    NorthEast & Great Lakes Region

Well after a small location change, we had our 3rd Northeast STOL at Harris Field. A small 2200’x50’ grass strip that is nestled At the foot of the Lake Champlain Basin.

We all had to wait for the fog. Ceilings raised enough to get out of most departure points and the crew of loyalists got on top and came down through a 100’ broken layer to arrive at Harris with no issues.

26 total aircraft were in attendance and 15 competed for the cookie bragging rights. The Super cubs pushed the envelope and made the others work hard. Tom Ford had a 95’ 8” take off in his SC and many thought that could be the # to beat. Then the head to Head came with Carbon cubs flown by Jim Crane and Pete Meyer. Crane bested Meyer’s 89’1” take off by getting off the the ground in just 81’2”. There was more nail biting when the landings were posted. Jim was down and stopped in just 148’ and Pete at 151’1”.

We had several super cubs, a couple PA12s, a sky wagon, a Legend Cub, a 2+2, a straight tail 172, Citabria, RV4, Bear Hawk, a straight tail 150 and even a turbine beaver came to visit. We had 6 Cub Crafters planes attend and EX2 builder Tom Sheeley competed in his first STOL. Our furthest traveler was Pete Meyer from eastern MD.

All tolled it was a great day. Jim Crane took possession of the travel trophy and certainly I expect him to try to defend that STOL Champion title next year. Special thanks to the Symons, Kevin & Melinda and of course Harris Field. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.pngimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.pngimage.pngimage.jpgCongratulations to everyone for making it to Harris and keeping it safe and fun. Thank you all Yankee 1
    Last edited by Mark Keneston; 05-27-2019 at 03:41 PM.
    Cub Crafters
    Factory Direct New & Used Aircraft Sales
    NorthEast & Great Lakes Region

Mark,

Although I was a bit tired I was able to get home and attend. In difference to my earlier questioning locations, Harris may very well be a better choice than even Basin Harbor, for a central location, etc.

Good job, and thanks again. Next year I should be able to participate.

pb

Great pix Pete. I would like to especially thank Mark Keneston. He is an employee of CubCrafters, but he sure is one of "us". Where most folks jobs end when they get in their cars and go home at night, Marks stay with him all the time, to the advantage of the rest of us. While his family was doing their thing on the weekend, Mark spent the whole day with the rest of us, organizing this event. Which threw him a lot of curveballs. The end result is the rest of us get to act like a bunch of kids, thanks to Mark and the others who put this on. All the Cubcrafters folks are the exact same, from Chuck in Fl, Rick in AZ, Brad out to Yakima, and all the others I havent met yet. Great company
    The traveling trophy is now hanging on the wall in my hangar in Exeter, Maine. I put it there so 745JB can see it, because its not my talent that won anything, it belongs to 5JB. Thanks again Mark, well done

Jim Crane

mark.jpg
    Last edited by Scouter; 05-28-2019 at 09:41 PM.

Congratulations Jim on a great showing! And congratulations Mark! What a great turnout! Looks like a super event.... only wish it was closer to me! Fantastic.

Rick

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    CubCrafters Dealer for AZ/NM/UT/CO/southern WY
    www.suncountrycubs.com