Thread: Selling a kit?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Selling a kit?

First post...
    I'm in the process of deciding weather if its a good idea to buy a kit or not and one of the questions that I have is its resale value, I mean, do people trust and buy planes that weren't build in the factory? and if it can sell does it normally sell above the cost of the kit or below?
    I can only afford a kit and I need to know if I can get my "money back" later.

Thanks!

Default Re: Selling a kit?

Check out Dave Embry's thread here on the forum. Dave has built and sold two kits and has a third flying and a fourth under construction. Feel free to email him directly with your questions about the resale.

daveembry@aol.com

I'm happy to visit with you as well about this aspect.

Hope to see you added to our customer list soon!
    Mike Sasser
    Boomerang Air
    mike@boomerangair.net

OK,AR,TX,LA
    www.cubcrafters.com

Awesome thanks for the info, I’m already in touch with Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by hgclobo View Post
    First post...
    I'm in the process of deciding weather if its a good idea to buy a kit or not and one of the questions that I have is its resale value, I mean, do people trust and buy planes that weren't build in the factory? and if it can sell does it normally sell above the cost of the kit or below?
    I can only afford a kit and I need to know if I can get my "money back" later.

Thanks!

I am interested in what you learned from this question. I am in the same boat. Ive wanted to build one for years now but I always get scared and never pull the trigger.......First poster here as well!
    Last edited by In2TheBlue; 09-08-2019 at 10:33 AM.

My experience with selling experimental aircraft has been good. I've built, flown, and sold several experimental aircraft over the past 20 years. Of course the real answer to the question "can I get my money back later" is - it all depends.

If the aircraft is a popular model like the Carbon Cub, built from a factory kit with a good builder's log and photos during construction, with modern avionics, no damage history, mid to low time airframe and engine, and impeccable logs - you should be able to sell it for the cash you have in the aircraft (assuming it's a high quality build) and perhaps a little more to cover some of your labor investment.

I built an F1 Rocket that I flew for 12 years and recently sold it for the cash I had in the aircraft. I'm currently flying a Carbon Cub EX-2 that I finished last year and expect to sell it for enough to cover the cost of an EX-3 kit soon.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Tew View Post
    My experience with selling experimental aircraft has been good. I've built, flown, and sold several experimental aircraft over the past 20 years. Of course the real answer to the question "can I get my money back later" is - it all depends.

If the aircraft is a popular model like the Carbon Cub, built from a factory kit with a good builder's log and photos during construction, with modern avionics, no damage history, mid to low time airframe and engine, and impeccable logs - you should be able to sell it for the cash you have in the aircraft (assuming it's a high quality build) and perhaps a little more to cover some of your labor investment.

I built an F1 Rocket that I flew for 12 years and recently sold it for the cash I had in the aircraft. I'm currently flying a Carbon Cub EX-2 that I finished last year and expect to sell it for enough to cover the cost of an EX-3 kit soon.

Bill

Thanks for the insight Bill, no doubt the carbon is a popular model. When I decide to undertake this build I plan on keeping exacting logs and pictures so hopefully that would help. Who knows, I may never want to sell it anyway and just give it to my kids when they are old enough. The thought just sits a little easier on my stomach knowing I could possibly sell it for whats in it. Now I just need to find the confidence to just click order and get this thing started. Im 31 and been around planes my whole life, I fly for a living, but the thought of building one scares me! haha