Thread: Help Getting the Mags off

Default Help Getting the Mags off

I have >500hrs on the mags of my TopCub and am having some starting issues. Everyone's opinion is to send the mags off to have the 500 service done. I already changed the plugs to fine wire and a few other things.

My question: Is there any way to get those mags off of the TopCub without swinging the engine?? They are tight to the firewall and I can't get anything in there to get the bolts off to take the cap off. Any tips?? I didn't want to swing the engine, b/c I don't have a lift. Can it be swung without taking the engine weight with a lift?? Hanging on those two bolts makes me nervous.

Thank you

Default Re: Help Getting the Mags off

yes, you can swing the engine with no lift.

• Cowl off
    • Make sure at least 1 clamp is off of the cabin heat SCAT between the bottom, center of the muff and the box lower center of the firewall
    • Check for any aftermarket add-ons like engine heater etc that might prevent the engine from swinging
    • Remove 2 right hand bolts
    • Carefully swing the engine away from the RH 2 mounts. All of the cables, wires etc are routed to the left side of the engine and should not need any adjustment to swing it free.
    • DON'T SWING IT TOO FAR! The left aft corner of the exhaust can contact the left forward corner of the boot cowl and dent it. I keep a piece of round rod bent into a U shape to drop into the upper right engine mount bolt tabs and the weldment on the firewall the engine mount goes onto to prevent the engine from swinging too far.
    • Don't forget, with the P-Leads disconnected the mags are hot! Suggest disconnecting all of the spark plug leads before the p-leads and don't connect them back up until the p-leads are connected.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    yes, you can swing the engine with no lift.

• Cowl off
    • Make sure at least 1 clamp is off of the cabin heat SCAT between the bottom, center of the muff and the box lower center of the firewall
    • Check for any aftermarket add-ons like engine heater etc that might prevent the engine from swinging
    • Remove 2 right hand bolts
    • Carefully swing the engine away from the RH 2 mounts. All of the cables, wires etc are routed to the left side of the engine and should not need any adjustment to swing it free.
    • DON'T SWING IT TOO FAR! The left aft corner of the exhaust can contact the left forward corner of the boot cowl and dent it. I keep a piece of round rod bent into a U shape to drop into the upper right engine mount bolt tabs and the weldment on the firewall the engine mount goes onto to prevent the engine from swinging too far.
    • Don't forget, with the P-Leads disconnected the mags are hot! Suggest disconnecting all of the spark plug leads before the p-leads and don't connect them back up until the p-leads are connected.
    Brian have you had a lot of moisture also? Some hangers sweat real bad and that moisture could be an issue with your p leads. Look for fractures in the leads also. With just 500 hours, I'm curious. Mark
    Cub Crafters
    Factory Direct New & Used Aircraft Sales
    NorthEast & Great Lakes Region

500 hrs is the norm for slick mags to start hard. The points wear and throws off the internal timing. Any mechanic should be able to re set internal timing. The rest of the inspection is pretty straight forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to everyone for all the help. In remote Alaska I have no mechanics or shop, I just have to beg/bribe one of the folks who work for the small commercial groups to come over and help/sign it off. One of the prices to pay for living up here. I have some new Mags on the way and I'll recondition the old ones so that I have spares. Going to tackle it this weekend, assuming the new mags arrive by then. I'll let post how it goes.

Thanks Mark, I'll check the P leads, but no moisture in my heated hangar & I'm still waiting for you to visit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by 990RH View Post
    Thanks to everyone for all the help. In remote Alaska I have no mechanics or shop, I just have to beg/bribe one of the folks who work for the small commercial groups to come over and help/sign it off. One of the prices to pay for living up here. I have some new Mags on the way and I'll recondition the old ones so that I have spares. Going to tackle it this weekend, assuming the new mags arrive by then. I'll let post how it goes.

Thanks Mark, I'll check the P leads, but no moisture in my heated hangar & I'm still waiting for you to visit.

Swapped them out yesterday...really not bad at all. The only extra step not mentioned was to disconnect the tach cable. It only would swing out about 8 inches before it hit...the bent round rod bracket to hold it in place was key. Just enough room to wrestle the left one out/in, after the obligatory dropping the nut a dozen times trying to reinstall.

Weather is too bad to start it up to test it out. That will have have to wait until it's not blowing 30 and pelting a wintery mix sideways. Fingers crossed