Thread: Garmin GDL 50R

Default Garmin GDL 50R

Any installations of this unit on a CC yet? Thoughts?

Andrew

EBB77C7C-5BB1-4D54-9759-0A7422BBCAE2.jpg

Default Re: Garmin GDL 50R

Piece of cake! Power, ground and maybe hard wire or blue tooth to whatever you plan on sending the data to. Depending on what display you are going to interface with it. Since its not in the certified market you can go to Garmins website and download the install and user manuals and see for yourself. Its fairly similar to the older GDL 39 which I think has been discontinued for the GDL 50 series. Kinda depends also on if you want only the ADSB or if you want the XM audio as well.

Have fun

Mike

Thx Mike! World VFR panel so connection to 796 and iPhone running ForeFlight. Already have XM so just the GDL50 I assume. This for the ‘in’ and UAvionix nav light/adsb for the ‘out’ is current thinking.

Andrew

Hey Andrew,

I wound up installing the GDL52R and connecting it to my aera 660 and really like it. When you pair it with the aera it provides attitude information that allows you to get the 3d vision on the panel which is pretty neat. Only thing I'm going back and forth on right now is whether to hook up a GPS antenna to the unit, right now I'm getting GPS from the Aera, but I believe the GPS in the 50R and 52R is WAAS enabled so it should be a little more precise. I will need to use a serial line out of my 52R for the CGR30P when I install that for the GPS source and may move antennas and wiring around at that point. It's a shame that the 52R doesn't provide the GPS timemark data either because then you could feed the GDL82 too.

Regards,
    George

Quote Originally Posted by jasimmons View Post
    Any installations of this unit on a CC yet? Thoughts?

Andrew

EBB77C7C-5BB1-4D54-9759-0A7422BBCAE2.jpg