Thread: Aileron cable question

Default Aileron cable question

Is this the normal routing for the aileron cable?
    I am concerned the cable is putting a lot of pressure on the guide closest to the fuselage and will saw in to the guide over time. The cable runs through the other two guides without any deflection.

Thank you,
    David

Aileron cable.jpg

Default Re: Aileron cable question

Quote Originally Posted by David H View Post
    Is this the normal routing for the aileron cable?
    I am concerned the cable is putting a lot of pressure on the guide closest to the fuselage and will saw in to the guide over time. The cable runs through the other two guides without any deflection.

Thank you,
    David

Aileron cable.jpg
    Looks correct to me David. That cable should be very close to touching the front strut as well so you put the anti-abrasion tape there as well.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

That looks correct.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Great!
    Thanks guys.
    David

Seems like a related thread to my question which is related to the installation of the fuselage lower aileron pulley.
    The Inspection checklist #5 on page 77 of the Fuselage manual suggests installation of the aileron pulley without any prior instruction for lower aileron cable or or associated parts inventory, before commencing the cover.
    Is this instruction prior to the cable run misplaced? Why now?
    A reasonable drawing for pulley makeup appears on Page 220 of the Finish Manual, although not directly referenced, is this parts call relevant at this much earlier point?
    Last edited by karaka29211; 11-08-2019 at 09:01 PM.

You are correct in that the pulley isn’t installed until the very end of the build after cover, paint, wings, struts are installed etc.

You can check out my thread on building here and take special note of Post #1 where I advise about ignoring inspections sheets and figures showing items that are not called for yet.

http://forum.cubcrafters.com/showthr...p-Hints/page16

In part, here is what I said in that post:

DON'T PAY MUCH ATTENTION TO THE "INSPECTION SHEETS" IN THE MANUALS. I think these Inspection Sheets are used by the factory and you will see there are lots of things not done yet in the kit or maybe done and not included so if you use them, just use the items that relates ONLY to the things the manual directed you to do in that section and nothing more. SO ..... if you see something in the "INSPECTION SHEET" that was not in the section of the manual you just did... IGNORE IT.....DON'T THINK YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO DO IT YET.

Also pay attention to the beginning of the manual where it says that if the written information conflicts with the figures/drawings shown......always go by the figures/drawings. They are engineering drawings and are most certainly the most current and correct version. ALSO, ONLY DO WHAT THE WRITTEN PORTION OF THE MANUAL INSTRUCTS YOU TO DO AND NO MORE EVEN THOUGH THE ASSOCIATED FIGURE MAY SHOW MORE THINGS DONE. If the manual only tells you to put 3 parts on a section but when you see the drawing you see a few more parts installed.....DON'T DO IT! The figure is just a figure showing the entire area and all the parts but only do what's instructed at that time. There is most likely a reason you will not put the other parts on at that time and later you will come back and finish.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by karaka29211 View Post
    Seems like a related thread to my question which is related to the installation of the fuselage lower aileron pulley.
    The Inspection checklist #5 on page 77 of the Fuselage manual suggests installation of the aileron pulley without any prior instruction for lower aileron cable or or associated parts inventory, before commencing the cover.
    Is this instruction prior to the cable run misplaced? Why now?
    A reasonable drawing for pulley makeup appears on Page 220 of the Finish Manual, although not directly referenced, is this parts call relevant at this much earlier point?
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Thanks Dave,
    That explains a whole lot to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    You are correct in that the pulley isn’t installed until the very end of the build after cover, paint, wings, struts are installed etc.

You can check out my thread on building here and take special note of Post #1 where I advise about ignoring inspections sheets and figures showing items that are not called for yet.

http://forum.cubcrafters.com/showthr...p-Hints/page16

In part, here is what I said in that post:

DON'T PAY MUCH ATTENTION TO THE "INSPECTION SHEETS" IN THE MANUALS. I think these Inspection Sheets are used by the factory and you will see there are lots of things not done yet in the kit or maybe done and not included so if you use them, just use the items that relates ONLY to the things the manual directed you to do in that section and nothing more. SO ..... if you see something in the "INSPECTION SHEET" that was not in the section of the manual you just did... IGNORE IT.....DON'T THINK YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO DO IT YET.

Also pay attention to the beginning of the manual where it says that if the written information conflicts with the figures/drawings shown......always go by the figures/drawings. They are engineering drawings and are most certainly the most current and correct version. ALSO, ONLY DO WHAT THE WRITTEN PORTION OF THE MANUAL INSTRUCTS YOU TO DO AND NO MORE EVEN THOUGH THE ASSOCIATED FIGURE MAY SHOW MORE THINGS DONE. If the manual only tells you to put 3 parts on a section but when you see the drawing you see a few more parts installed.....DON'T DO IT! The figure is just a figure showing the entire area and all the parts but only do what's instructed at that time. There is most likely a reason you will not put the other parts on at that time and later you will come back and finish.

Hope that helps.