Thread: ADS-B Compliance

Default ADS-B Compliance

What are Cub Crafters owners doing for ADS-B compliance? Looking for recommendations.

Default Re: ADS-B Compliance

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Walch View Post
    What are Cub Crafters owners doing for ADS-B compliance? Looking for recommendations.
    Only the 1090 option is available in New Zealand and it has to be TSO-C166B as well. I've installed the Trig TN70 with the Trig TT22 transponder. Overkill perhaps but high confidence that it will meet the requirements long term.
    Bob Gray, FX-3 #38, ZK-FXC

Quote Originally Posted by kiwibob View Post
    Only the 1090 option is available in New Zealand and it has to be TSO-C166B as well. I've installed the Trig TN70 with the Trig TT22 transponder. Overkill perhaps but high confidence that it will meet the requirements long term.
    kiwibob, I have the TT22 in my CC-EX. How difficult is it to install a TN70, for someone who might be not so smart./ There is like ZERO room for a big man to work in.. Tom W

I think N536cs can give you excellent feedback..I think they have Appareo Stratus ESG in one (his) and the UAvionix Skybeacon Wingtip in the other (hers)....
    Scott and Kim Huntington
    2007 CubCrafters CC11-100 "Sierra"
    2008 CubCrafters CC11-100 "Priscilla"

http://forum.cubcrafters.com/showthr...-Wingtip-ADS-B

I went with the Appareo Stratus ESGi on my 2007 Sport Cub for several reasons. I wanted the install that would require the least changes to the plane. (I am daytime only, so I have no wiring in my wings. If I was E-LSA and wanted to fly at night the combination of the uAvionix skyBeacon and the new skySensor would have been very interesting. https://uavionix.com/products/skysensor/) Since my transponder was 12 years old, I had little problem replacing it. The ESG was a direct "easy peasy drop-in" replacement for the GTX327. I had bottom Com and stub transponder attennae. I did not want to move the com attenna to the top turtle deck. I also wanted to use the stub transponder antenna and existing low loss coax. (Appareo Stratus Transponder has lots of power so the stub transponder antenna works great--Garmin claimed their 335 and 345 transponders needed a new blade attenna which would have required modification to the belly pan and probably having to move the com attenna.) I knew I needed a WAAS GPS antenna but wanted to mount it in place of the XM attenna plate above the rear seat. I wanted to use Foreflight and my IPad mini for ADS-B in traffic situational awareness----and did not want to have to plug in any external power to the Status unit.

So, simple exchange of the transponder and XM antenna. (Simple homemade adapter plate needed for WAAS antenna.) Used existing altimeter decoder. Startus 3i wired direct (power and data) to transponder. Stratus unit mounts neatly just below transponder. First test flight FAA data showed perfect results. Amazing to see all the traffic. Plus, my plane looks pretty much the same as before the install---I use the IPad Mini on a knee board for my left knee. Another benefit was the unit provides synthetic vision and AHRS to my iPad.

One of my biggest concerns flying slow is a faster corporate jet or other high performance plane overtaking me. So dual link was important--and being anonymous did not seem very important. In fact, I kinda like the FAA knowing where I am at all times.

I am S-LSA and MRA was approved. Cost was $1000 labor, plus parts. Install took 1 day. Oh---Appareo was offering a special 5 year warranty in 2018.

Here is a video that explains the ADS-B in info--was helpful to me.

<span style="color: rgb(62, 62, 62); font-family: &quot;Comic Sans MS&quot;; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">

Stratus ESGI ad.PNG

Stratus ESGI.PNG

Last edited by stroutmail; 02-03-2019 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    kiwibob, I have the TT22 in my CC-EX. How difficult is it to install a TN70, for someone who might be not so smart./ There is like ZERO room for a big man to work in.. Tom W
    I didn't do the work myself so I don't know. I have been in under the panel before and I know it's a nightmare working upside down in the tiny space.

Sorry I can't help more.
    Bob Gray, FX-3 #38, ZK-FXC

Here is an example of a Sport Cub with the top of the line GTX345 integrated...he spent $8000...looks like a really nice CC11-120!

link....

http://https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Single+Engine+Piston&make=C UBCRAFTERS&model=CC11-100+SPORT+CUB&listing_id=2337321&s-type=aircraft
    Last edited by stroutmail; 02-04-2019 at 07:29 AM.

Another thumbs up for the GTX345. Did the install myself and offset the cost by selling the old mode C and collecting the FAA $500 rebate. Total out of pocket just over $4K.

Two years now of trouble free use.

Paul K.

Quote Originally Posted by stroutmail View Post
    Here is an example of a Sport Cub with the top of the line GTX345 integrated...he spent $8000...looks like a really nice CC11-120!

link....

http://https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Single+Engine+Piston&make=C UBCRAFTERS&model=CC11-100+SPORT+CUB&listing_id=2337321&s-type=aircraft
    While I owned 623CB I had this upgrade installed by Green Mountain Avionics, it included swapping out the 327 and 496 for a GTX345 and linking a Garmin 660. It all fit perfectly and worked seamlessly with either Foreflight or Garmin Pilot. Selling the 327, 496 and the rebate helped but still a little dear. Liked the 345 enough to put one in the EX2.